Living Between NL and the UK, with a Non-EU Spouse

Hello! My spouse is a UK citizen and I'm American. We want to move to NL, but his jobs wants him in England a while longer than we'd hoped.

If we go to the Netherlands and register with him as an EU citizen bringing his spouse in, can he start going back and forth between the countries while leaving me in the Netherlands? Would there be some sort of requirement for him to spend a certain amount of days there, or can he do what he likes as long as he follows the tax rules?

For instance, can he register in NL, have me live there, and then spend only a couple weekends a month there?

Thank you so much. I know this situation isn't ideal, but we're trying to figure out our options.

Hi again,

I think we've already had this conversation regarding taxes.  What you're now adding to the discussion is that your husband will no longer be "economically inactive", will be paying UK taxes and National Insurance, plus all the Dutch stuff we discussed previously.

He can do it, I did it for 2.5 years, but the tax and Health Insurance costs will be steep.

Best of luck.

Cynic
Expat Team

An afterthought - Brexit may muck all your plans up and make routine travel between UK/NL if not difficult, certainly more expensive 7 euro p/trip.

Hello,

Ah yes, thank you again for your input - I really, really appreciate it!

I'm a bit confused about the economically inactive bit. His job would be in the UK, so I thought he'd be 'inactive' in the Netherlands? I just don't quite understand who you have to pay for what when you're living in one place and working in another. I know the UK and the Netherlands have tax agreements in place to keep people from getting hit twice, but I'm just confused!

Thinking I should probably talk to an accountant to get it sorted.

What exactly did you do before?

Again, thank you so much.

He will not be economically inactive if he's working (anywhere), the Dutch system allows them to tax "you" on all worldwide income, that includes interest from savings and payments received from pensions.

I ended up asking a tax consultant; he helped me get a few bits back for travel costs from NL > UK but I still ended up with not a lot of money left from what I'd saved for retirement.