Questions related with renewal of RNE

Greetings,

I am a citizen of Republic of Belarus, have lived in Brazil for more than 4 years, working as a visiting professor first at UFSCar (São Carlos) and then at USP-SP. This year I passed the concurso for Professor Adjunct position at the Department of Chemistry, ITA, in São José dos Campos, and was assigned for this position. But:
my Cedula de Identidade de Estrangeiro / RNE expired in March this year, when my previous contract was already over, and I was participating in concursos, thus, when I came to renew the RNE at Federal Polica in Lapa, São Paulo, they did not do it but I was explained that so far I am looking for a job, my situation in the country is fine. Now, when I want/need to renew my Cedula de Identidade de Estrangeiro / RNE, the Federal Police here in São José dos Campos did not do this, without providing clear explanations.
So, my questions is: did anybody get in similar situation before and how it was resolved? Could anybody advise me an organization or lawyers who would deal with such issues for foreigners, and quickly, too?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best regards,
Aleksey.

Aleksey,
Your best bet for finding a reliable lawyer is to pulse your networks at UFS-Car and USP-SP for recommendations.   Your former colleagues probably have contacts in the legal field.  Immigration Law is a rare specialty in Brazil, so you may need to work with a general practitioner who's willing to get up to speed with the particulars of your case.
If you draw a blank on your network, you can search for lawyers in your area on jusbrasil.com.br, then interview any who might seem likely to you.
Good luck!