Homeschool for my grade 12 son

Hi,
I have been looking at all private English schools, and have not yet found a school where my son would fit in. Currently he's in a small private school in South Africa, after being in a school similar to Le Bocage...he hated it.
Now he's so happy and his marks just shot up. Both him and my wife is still in SA, but we find it too difficult apart, and I decided to let them join me in Mau.
The only difficulty is the school. Does anyone perhaps know of any small private English school....if there is not one available, I will consider homeschool...in which case I need to find good tutors...any advise. He would need tuition for math, science, Biology and IT...the rest he should be able to manage.

Also, I would love to hear from anyone who face the same problem and who is considering homeschooling their high school kids...maybe we can start a study group for them...always better in a group than alone.

Any private tutors, please contact me as well.

Thanks and bye
George

Hello, I am also interesting in this topic. What are the schools like in Mauritius? How many are where (private vs public) and where are they located? What language are they taught in?

Douglas,

Public schools are of varying quality and are generally spread evenly throughout the island - though the top schools (in terms of academics) are concentrated in and around the central plateau. Expect spartan campuses with crowded classrooms, though the overall quality of instruction is considered to be quite good by international standards.

Private schools are less common, especially at the secondary level. The top three English-language schools (in terms of public perception) are Le Bocage, Northfields and the American International Academy of Mauritius (AIA).

Le Bocage is a large school (over 500 students) situated in the central region of Moka, while Northfields is a slightly smaller school (300+ students) located in the North of the island (near the village of Labourdonnais). Both cater heavily to the English-speaking ex-pat communities, including the embassy/consulate and business executive sets.

AIA is a new school opening in January, 2012, near Petit Camp. It is somewhat smaller (less than 200 students) and emphasizes technology in the classroom, with a fully wired campus and online curriculum management system. It's also significantly less expensive than its competitors, making AIA a particularly attractive option for ex-pats on a budget.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Randall C. Kennedy, Director
American International Academy
A Project of EduSource, Ltd.

Thank you for your response Randall.

If I pursue this position I will definitely contact you.

best regards.

Hey wait a minute, if the school hasn't actually opened yet, you can't exactly say it's in the top 3!!!!!

Hi Rck,

I sent you an email but did ot hear back from you. I am very much interested in the English and English literature teaching position at AIA. I am TESOL certified, have previous teaching experience and registered at PSSA I just majored in BSBA at Webster University( an American accredited university) and would like to advance as a teacher further in my career.

Hope to hear back from you!

Regards. Disha