Canadian with EU Passport Trying to Decide Whether to Move to Scotland

I've been struggling with making a decision about whether or not to take a one year leave of absence from my job and move to Scotland (possibly permanently).  I've been to Scotland three times, the last time was in March 2018.  I love the history, the countryside, the culture and the coast.  I would love to hear from any expats who have made the move .  How has the experience been, was it difficult finding a job, what are some of the nicer towns/villages, etc,?  As well, what is the current atmosphere regarding Brexit, and how are Canadian expats living in Scotland viewed?  Thank you.

Hi Denise,

Scotland is a nice place, but it does tend to rain a lot.  As it stands, as an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.  As to finding work, unemployment as a whole is pretty low in the UK; you haven't said what you do, but if it's in a regulated field, then you'll need to check that your qualifications are recognised in your destination country.  If not regulated that you have the necessary qualifications and experience to get the job.  If you have no qualifications or don't care what kind of job you get, then you are probably headed towards a zero-hour contract with pretty poor pay and terms and conditions; I would not be heading for the UK on those terms.

Brexit is nowhere near being agreed upon by either side; it could be good, or bad for non-UK citizens - my point is nobody knows yet.  If stability is an important part of your desired outcome, then perhaps stay where you are until it's all been sorted (so, March 2019 - maybe).

Canadians - don't really think that's a specific issue anywhere in the UK (or anywhere else in the world tbh); if you really mean xenophobia (foreigners), you get that everywhere, even in Canada - but it's a minority, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team