The nightlife scene in the USA

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in the USA.

In the USA, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in the USA?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in the USA?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I live in relatively rural quiet areas so the closest thing to night life is a few pints at the bar before bed. Compared to England i wouldn't say its near as common to go out at night -- maybe in more urban areas such as New York City or Austin, but where i live there is ultimately no "night light" its usually community evenings such a town meetings, comedy nights or bands playing at the local Stone church, which is a lot of fun!

Thankfully where i live its very safe to go out at night. The police station is meters away from down town and New Hampshire has virtually no crime. I mean theres drug crime but nothing bodily or assault-like.

Something that surprised me about the nightlife in America is how lovely local people are and how mostly the local drinking holes are full of "good old boys/girls" not the stuck up/high maintenance  college students and their counterparts that you see in the films. I have only seen very few of these examples! Don't believe the movies. America has wonderful people. 

I dont know about apps, but i took a walk through town and checked out the local places then looked at them on facebook for reviews. Its a great way to get out and about with yourself and do a little discovering. Also -- Uber is a great app for getting about in general.

There is plenty of Night Life in every State and City .

Depends on your taste. It could be American (Rock) or Mixed with Spanish and also Disco's.
Usually they are safe, but anything could go wrong if you mess around with the wrong people.
Do not recommend you go by your self.  With your friends atlease few persons with you would be ideal.

We also have several Live Concerts around the USA with top notch artists. The prices could be anywhere from 70 to 300 dollars depending how close  you want to be to the stage.

Walking home is not recommended during the late hours, This is asking for trouble, unless you live in Singapore. Also, drunk driving is against the law. If you do have Alccohol in your blood (BAC) .8% you are asking for big trouble.
If you get caught , perhaps jail time, forfeiture of the Driver's Licence. and couple of courses you may to follow such as Defensive Driving Course and Alchoholics Anonymous. Is it worth the trouble, I dont think so.

Thanks

Nightlife in the USA is heavily dependent on the location in terms of type of nightlife available and safety.

Some places in the USA have restrictive laws on the sale of alcohol. This is predominantly the case in states in the southern USA like Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and also Utah. And the nightlife venues in these areas are particularly restrictive in rural areas. Many mid-western cities in the USA also have a variety of alcohol sale restrictions.

Along the east and west coasts of the USA, the nightlife is more liberal, with a variety of type of clubs, bars, cultural events, etc. There are "strip clubs", dance clubs, country western clubs and just about anything in between. In general, alcohol cannot be sold or served between 2:00AM - 6:00AM. Most bars have a "last call for alcohol" at about 1:30 AM.

In terms of safety, it varies quite a bit. There are areas of NY City to definitely avoid such as the Bronx, Harlem. In California, South Central Los Angeles is also a dangerous place any time. Most big urban US cities have their own "do not go here" areas.

It's best to check with a knowledgeable "local" to know what areas to avoid.

Also very important, the laws against driving under the influence (aka "DUI") of alcohol, drugs, prescription medication, etc. are  VERY strict in pretty much all of the USA. Do not risk going out and driving if you plan on drinking or smoking marijuana (which is now legal for recreational use in some states). The penalties for a DUI in the US are very high and you can also end up in jail for several days in many cities, even for a first offense. So don't risk it; take Uber, Lyft or a taxi. Or have a "designated driver" in your group who will not be drinking or doing drugs while you are all out and about.