The nightlife scene in the Philippines

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in the Philippines.

In the Philippines, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in the Philippines?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in the Philippines?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I hardly ever go out at night. I am out and about doing the day. I do my best never to even drive at night.

Reason being I am a senior 65. The only hot chick I need at night is my 59 year old wife. I don't do night clubs or day clubs.

I do occasional go out in my fenced yard and light my teaket torches and watch the stars.

Where I live in province there are no night clubs anyway. And I sure am not driving to city to look for one. Just saying foreigners need to be really aware when they are out at night.

If it's your thing go for it! But be alert!

Back in the UK  as a single chap I'd be out most nights for a beer in the "Local", however when married we'd go out only occasionally.
Here in the Philippines I miss the activity of "Popping down the pub" for a couple of beers.                  The way of rubbing shoulders with other at the bar doesn't happen and there is no "hussle and bussle" of activity where its easy to make acquaintances. 

We have to settle for contacting another expat and arranging to meetup. As previously mentioned it is not so good for an expat to wander round at night.

There are "bar areas" in Manila and Angeles where its OK to wander for a beer but safer with company and of course there are plenty of our own "species" to make u feel at home.

Depends on your version of night life, i have been a regular visitor to the Philippines for over 15 years. The last 8 years to Davao  city, i am not chasing girls as i am married but there is many places to go for entertainment. Live bands, shows and restaurants you just need to chat to the locals to find the good places.
I avoid places that involve gambling like cock fights as that it is a recipe for disaster. Never go down unlit areas at night though wonder around quiet safely at night going to food outlets and local entertainment areas.