The nightlife scene in Ecuador

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in Ecuador.

In Ecuador, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in Ecuador?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in Ecuador?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

In Ecuador, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night?

In the capital the nightlife culture is good with pre-midnight activities like cinema, dining out, theater, pubs and cafes. These activities can be enjoyed in quality places for instance cinemas are clean, have the latest movies, IMAX screens, good snacks and no idiots to ruin the experience.

It's also a cool experience to watch Spanish language movies or ones set in Latin America and dubbed to Spanish – like Sicario. Blockbusters are almost always offered in English language option.

Cafés are also top quality and one of my favorite ways to spend a few hours. The coffee either Colombian or Ecuadorian is good and so are empanadas they serve. Wifi is usually reliable and superfast at least at cafes that I frequent in the business district.

As for theaters they always update their schedules on a monthly basis whether it's a play, concert or fine arts events.

Pubs are also quite popular on weekends. I like them because they offer a good ambiance, good service and are nice places to unwind. Bowling and pool are also fun activities although availability and prices are better on weekdays.

After midnight the main area is La Mariscal, which is the nightlife district, and probably has about a 100 bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Plaza Foch the center of it all has about a dozen places and sometimes there is live music which is something that I enjoy. The scene from any of these restaurant-bars towards the plaza is nice.

It's a bit touristy but there's nothing wrong with that and more importantly this particular plaza is safe with heavy police presence so there's no issue with being there very late.

For dancing, some clubs on the side streets are better options and clubs like Bungalow and No Bar are popular. There are other options in other areas but those two are a good place to start. These side streets do however have some shady looking characters and if you're going to hangout late it's better to go with a friend(s).

Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

Many places during weekdays are simply dead, and when it rains people just stay away. Some weekdays like Thursday especially if it's a payday will be quite active.

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in Ecuador?

I recently read that the majority of assaults and car break-ins occur between 6:00 pm - 12:00 am. So use common sense and avoid empty dark streets and if you're parking your car do so in well-lit areas and preferably on a street with a parking attendant who guards cars. Better yet find a parking garage if there's one nearby.

Another thing to be cautious of is being escopolaminado  (drugged in a very nasty way). Initially I was doubtful of the extent but since I started watching Ecuador news on a regular basis I've come to the conclusion that it's quite prevalent and more so in Guayaquil but nevertheless be cautious with drinks and the company you meet.

Overall Quito's nightlife scene is okay but IMO better if shared with a partner. It certainly doesn't stand out like some other capitals and perhaps because there's no summer and it's chilly almost every night. The rainy season also dampens activity, but personally I like it and nice restaurant and pub afterwards is how I like to spend weekends.