Rest home in Danang

Hi Richard,

We were in VN for a short period of time last year just  for a visit and never had any consideration of retiring there. We were pleasantly surprised to see how the country has changed so much although it still had a lot to catch up with the rest of the world.
It is true what you said about coming there with no expectations. However, I'd like to prepare myself before I embark on some unknown territory . So this is a preliminary research to see what options the country has to offer. We will definitely have to come over there and stay for a while to see whether Danang or Vung Tau suits our needs or whether we like it before committing to stay on a long term basis.

And yes, thank you for your invitation.  We will keep that in mind when we visit Danang, we'll come by and say hello.

When I was doing the research for rest home in VN, I came across a web site that indicated a rest home catering to viet kieu had to close its door because of lack of business.  Thev owner was thinking about changing business  strategy and hopefully to re-open its door. I don't know what happened there but I don't want to speculate anything. I would think that if there is money to be made in this type of business more people would be interested in pursuing it. In another news article I saw, geriatrics is still a new field within the last 10 to 15 years and not a lot of Vietnamese are interested in studying this field . Although, they have sent students to Japan to study and trained to be prepared for the fast growing number of aging population.

michela1300 wrote:

Thanks to all of you, Ciambella, Yogi, Oceanbeach, TGHIV and Fred for your inputs. You all have been very helpful in providing the information we need to make a decision what we should do and where we should retire. I agree that in searching for the answer, the key question is who do we trust to be our care provider. I also appreciate that some of you have raised some interesting issues that I have not thought of before. I have also found out going  through this research process, I walk away with more questions than answer.

I'm going to send this info to you via our already-established private message connection, but I wanted to post here as well, for anyone following this thread:

In Hà Nội, a U.S. expat friend recommended FAMILY MEDICAL PRACTICE VIETNAM (website link) for good English-language medical care. It turns out, this is a big outfit, with offices there as well as in HCMC and here in Đà Nẵng.

So you might contact them to see if you can get the types of suggestions you are seeking.

HOWEVER, since language is not a barrier for you, I also recommend you seek out a comparable local Vietnamese medical practice to see if you get input more in tune with traditional Vietnamese culture (I have no recommendations to share).

Also, we've all mentioned the need to look at the situation through local glasses. I'd further suggest that it's virtually impossible for you to have this arranged with total certainty via long distance. I can't see any way around you needing to travel here first, prior to all of your questions having been answered.

Drop me a line when you arrive.

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks for your post.  I saw the same thing too.
How do you like Danang so far?

Đà Nẵng is great so far.

Here's a recent article about nursing homes in Việt Nam:

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/482286/v … model.html