Opening a business in DR

I'm from Canada (Quebec) and my dream is to open a business in DR... on the beach (yes on the beach). Is that feasible? I want to bring our famous Quebec poutine to the travelers and the locals of DR.

welcome to the forums.  Yes it is possible, it is feasible but I know nothing about you.

So first,  will you live here and run the business?

Do you have or will you get residency?

What area of the country?

What is your background, have you ever run a business?

Do you speak Spanish?

You don't need to answer here, I  will message you privately.  Your answers will determine the probability of this working out for you!

The Jolly Roger in Sosua has very good poutine. Wish there was a place to get Montreal style smoked meat.

What sells in Cleveland doesn't mean it will sell in Dallas. It is a common mistake made the world over. Come here and do your market search, demographics, an in depth study of what works & where it works. Read Woulk's "Don't Stop The Carnival".  Beach front is nice,,,,,,,, if you can afford it.There are very few upscale restaurants that succeed here.  In  SD perhaps because of its size. Locals are not known for being the sort to experiment with new foods. There are French restaurants in Las Terranes. (sp)    Your spirit is admirable, get here & explore the possibility of your dream.  You may discover an idea heretofore unknown.  This island is rife with potential success for those who seek it.  Welcome to the forum, read & ask.  Look, Listen, Learn......... the key to reach your goal.

"What sells in Cleveland does not mean in will sell in Dallas" Indeed!
I can attest to that. Lost the shirt off my back here with a liquid nitrogen ice cream shop. meanwhile in the states, flourishing.  beaches are not like south beach here, with constant foot traffic and folks with purchasing power..

You got that right!  Wharton School of Business orientation class  says," A Business is a profit making organism:; if it doesn't make a profit, it isn't a Business".   Good luck with french fries, cheese & gravy.

So much is different here it takes expertise and time to figure it out. And then things are constantly changing! This is why I always have clients!  :D

"business" is not difficult in the DR, but everything related to the government is difficult, if not impossible. So don't run off and register with the government unless you've got a lot of business and staff members. You'll encounter significant legal fees, monthly bookkeeping headaches, the need to register every single invoice and receipt with the government, it's like a crazy type of Big Brother here. The concepts don't exist in Canada. The government actually issues you your invoice numbers. It's crazy.

AND operating illegally is not something we recommend on  public forums! 

Business is difficult here.   The gov't has multiple requirements so you need to make sure  your business is sound before investing money and time!

Trying opening up in Costa Rica.

Dmosby do you want to post in the Costa Rica forum????  Are you living in the wrong place maybe???

No I am not living in the wrong place.   I love the dr.  And want to open a business there.   But there is a lot of difficulty trying to open a business. As you should know living there all those years.   I was just saying I am still open to the dr.  But I am also looking at Costa Rica.    And other Caribbean places.

OK. It's a little confusing sometimes based on your posts.

It is not easy to open a business but thousands have done it, including me.  You can't come in with an attitude of it being like home, or its a developing nation so it should be easy for an expat or you know how things should be done! It can be a tough market.

Do your homework, understand your skills and experience, go in with your eyes wide open!

I've  met & spent a few hours with Dmoseby. She knows her stuff & is no stranger to business.  A get out of my way & lets do it type of person. She will succeed where ever she goes & will overcome any & all obstacles.   GO DIANE!

Hey guys,  my post after the first line was not directed at anyone, it was meant to be general!

Okey-Dokey

Thanks tinker.    You are right and so is planner.   Do your homework.   Read everything on every thread.  It has helped me a lot.  I am come dow to Puerta plata area sept 24 week and seeing a few places.  Good luck  tinker is a very good source.   Let him help you.

Thanks Dmoseby, my turn to buy,if close to eagle shits day.