Student and Dependent Pass Simultaneously ?

Hello,

I wish to inquire if I can hold the Student Pass of West Malaysia and Dependent Pass of East Malaysia simultaneously?

My spouse and I are pursuing postgraduate studies but my spouse will be enrolled in a university in East Malaysia (Sarawak etc.) while I am enrolled in a university in West Malaysia. We plan to live together in EM. Is it possible that I can have two visas on the passport?

Since immigration and EM and WM are two different independent bodies and offer separate visas to visitors, I am hoping that I will not have to give up my WM student visa to live in Sarawak.

Please share whatever you know about it. I have already contacted the immigration in WM and EM and they all seem to be confused about it.

Thanks!

No only one valid visa. So you will borh have Student Visas. But limit to length of the entry into EM on a WM student pass

Thank you for the reply.

Any idea if I will be able to enter EM based on WM student pass back to back to be with my family? I understand that with 30 days entry to EM, I will be required to exit EM every 29th day. However, will EM immigration give me 30 days entry again after I re-enter EM from WM within the span of a day or two?

Yes that's how it will be

Thank you for the kind response.

I am still not sure if EM immigration will let me in over and over with WM student pass. I heard EM immigration is very cautious in such cases.

Thank you for the response though.

I think the issue lies in the fact you should be attending the educational facility in WM so should not be living in EM. Yes, there could be problems if you try and spend too much time in EM and you may get your course/visa terminated because there are usually attendance requirements.

It would be sensible to talk to your University about your plans.

Thankfully, I can be away from my institute for many months with no risks of getting terminated.

My institute cannot help me because "it is beyond their power". They would rather say "it is up to you how to manage it."

There are always exceptions and appeals possible in immigration matters, so perhaps you need to wait until you have your WM student pass and then try and discuss a real situation rather than a hypothetical one.

One thing is for sure, you can't just do nothing about it and expect it to resolve itself. But only one visa type can be held at any one point  - that's a general principle.