Hello!! meet new people and understand the culture in here.

Hello All
This is Ranya, moved to Amman 4 months back, I have lived in Dubai for 18 years and moved here as an Office Manager/HR at GOPA ME
I cant wait to meet new people and understand the culture in here.
Feel free to get in touch!
Ranya

Hi Ranya,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for this introduction.

Please feel free to participate on other threads on the Amman forum.

All the best,
Christine

Thank you!

Hi there Ranya
How are you finding Jordan in comparison to Dubai? Very different I would say. How are you settling in?
Jennie

Hey Jennie
Thank you for your message, Iam settling in, lets say getting used to Amman :)

Hi there
Glad that you are settling in and although I am in the UK at the moment, I will be back in Amman in October. What sort of work do you do? The Jordanians and Palestinians here are very family orientated, but once you know one or two of them they can be very hospitable and welcoming.
Be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO careful as the driving here is dreadful and the biggest killer is cardiovascular disease, followed closely by aggressive and reckless driving.
So please do be careful

Jennie

I
I

Hi Jennie and Rania ...... !
I am an electrical engineer , moved to Amman just a month ago and settling down.
@raniasab do you final any cultural differences between UAE and Jordan ?  I wonder how the culture comes out in UAE with an extensively composite society. 

@Jennie ....... in my opinion cardiovascular should lead driving accidents .....if I take into account oil and sugar in local deserts ( leaving aside that they somehow are Yummy...!)

If you are saying olive oil when you say oil in the desert, olive oil is EXCELLENT for both the brain and heart health, so long live zaitoon. I lived in Doha for about six and a half years on and off, and found that it was a LOT more restrictive than either the UAE or Jordan.

I found it hard to go out on my own, which of course I can do in Amman (be very very careful crossing the road!!!
The food in Jordan is also yummy, and local Palestinian and Jordanian food is delicious. Keep as far away as possible from the horrible American fast food outlets which are disgusting and full of flavour enhancers such as Texan Chicken - Yuck
Jennie

Welcome on board and in Jordan  :cheers:

Getting use to Jordan...
In what way?

Jennie Alkawari wrote:

If you are saying olive oil when you say oil in the desert, olive oil is EXCELLENT for both the brain and heart health, so long live zaitoon. I lived in Doha for about six and a half years on and off, and found that it was a LOT more restrictive than either the UAE or Jordan.

I found it hard to go out on my own, which of course I can do in Amman (be very very careful crossing the road!!!
The food in Jordan is also yummy, and local Palestinian and Jordanian food is delicious. Keep as far away as possible from the horrible American fast food outlets which are disgusting and full of flavour enhancers such as Texan Chicken - Yuck
Jennie

I was just referring to excessive amount of oil (Olive or otherwise) and sugar (disastrous)....... for quite some time I have been using olive oil myself .......... but somehow it came out in recent studies that none of oils is GOOD for heart ....... olive oil is just the least damaging (being calculative). But since it tastes good, is the best bet around and it has so many other benefits ........so I would say yes to ...... " Long Live Zaitoon “:).
And yeah driving I crazy out here ……… every time I get out of home I often see accidented vehicles. Btw which local dishes do you suggest besides Kanafa and Mansaf?
have you guys explored North yet (Jerash, Irbid or Ajloun)?

Hey guys .. Iam Kiran moved to amman almost 7 months ago from India ... Working ofcourse  as a quality manager.

@amjad there is a lot of cultural difference between UAE and Jordan.. People, lifestyle almost everything  starts from food to clothing.

I think food in Amman is more rich that that I have seen in any part of middle- east.
People are more welcoming, oh God - jordanains often enjoy smiling !!! That's not common in middle east is it?

The only one thing with which my experience was with the taxi drivers!! Why do they always try rip u off!!

Yeah driving is bit crazy.. But it didn't so bad either!!! I have seen worse!! So compliants 😉

Funny you mentioned that the Jordanians smile a lot. Many people I know, and including me, find just the opposite.  Depends on the area maybe?