How is internet in Ajijic/Chapala area ?

Hi, Question for anyone staying in the Ajijic/Chapala area. Is hi Speed internet available? And if so what speed, and how reliable? I might be able to work from there for my job, but would require decent Internet to do so.
Thanks!

No One from Ajijic area?

Currently internet speeds vary dramatically depending upon the are and even the house. I hate to even generalize but as an example we get around 8-12 mbps download and maybe 0.5-0.75 upload. Uploading can be a bear.
Fortunately, there is a telecommunications company that is bringing in fiber optic. They finally raised enough money from the area to front their costs of bringing in the cable from Jocotopec. The first people who signed up are expected to get their hookup around the end of the year.
You can contact me and I can send you more information on it by email.

great question ... following this thread...

Hi speed Internet is available throughout Mexico.

Speed & reliability depend on some of the following factors:

1. Provider - Telmex, Megacable, AT&T, others
2. Plan - upload / download speeds.
3. Location - speeds vary depending on the neighborhood & # of users.
4. House layout
5. Type of modem / router equipment.
6. Peak use times in the neighborhood.

Many of my customers who are working in Mexico pay for 2 ISP´s as a safety net in case one goes out.

If you are looking to poll people who live in Chapala / Ajijic, I suggest you sign up for the 
Chapala Webboard.

You can find it here:

https://www.chapala.com/webboard/

Best to all,
Melanie

We've had high speed fiber optic cable provided by Ilox for about 3 months now in Ajijic and it is spreading throughout the area.  TelMex, not to be left behind, has also upgraded and offesr fiber optic as well. As long as you pick an independent home that is serviced by telephone poles you're good to go. As of right now there is only 1 gated community that has opted for fiber optic that I know of.