Transcribing Consulate issued Birth certificate in Brazil

Hi,

After a long time trying I have obtained my birth certificate issued at the Brazilian consulate in Toronto.

I'm trying to work out where to go in Brasilia to have it transcribed which is where I've been told to go to get this done if you don't live in Brazil. (this is also mentioned on the certificate itself and on most of the consular websites)

Results are very confusing when I search for Cartório 1º Ofício do Registro Civil do Distrito Federal - I can't make much sense of where I'm supposed to go.

Also how long does this take to do and will I need to pick any document up at the end of the process? I'm trying to get a handle of how long I'll need to stay in the city to complete the process.

Thanks so much for any help!

This appears to be the place you're looking fot:

http://www.cartoriomarceloribas.com.br

If not, they should be able to direct you.

Hey - thank you so much!! you got me off to a great start! I found this on their site:

http://www.cartoriomarceloribas.com.br/ … Nascimento

I've emailed them to see how long this might take (is it a while you wait or come back in a week type thing) and whether you need an appointment. I might only have a couple of days in Brasilia.

I noticed in the reviews another person had the same questions for registering the consular birth certificates of her children born in Australia but no answer.

If anyone has any experience of doing this I'd love to hear from you otherwise I'll post my experience here in November after I go.

For what it's worth, we had to get the Consular Certidão of our marriage trancribed by the Cartório do 1o Ofício here in Manaus.  It took a week.  We didn't ask whether expedited service was available, though.

I see OK thanks this helps plan my trip a bit. Did you have to go back to collect a document or did they mail it?

We picked it up, but we live in Manaus, so we weren't working to a hard deadline.

OK thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I registered my Brazilian citizenship in Milan's (Italy) Brazilian consular office on June 25, 2018.
In about one month I had my brazilian birth certificate from Brasilia. The same to my mother, when she applied for the Brazilian citizenship
I was told from a Brazilian attorney  that the l takes about 10-15 days to process the new birth certificates.

Thanks for your reply. I've since asked one of my friends for help and got a Word document from the Cartorio with information on what to do. They said it takes about a week if you go in person, or about 6 weeks if you do it by post and they will only post the document to a Brazilian address. Strange for a process for people that do not live in Brazil. I'm going to Brasilia in person to start the process and ask them to deliver the document by post to my friend in Brazil. He'll then post it to me overseas. I'll report back!

Icgaff wrote:

They said it takes about a week if you go in person, or about 6 weeks if you do it by post and they will only post the document to a Brazilian address. Strange for a process for people that do not live in Brazil.

Not so strange, really.  Brazil has pretty liberal policies with respect to dual nationality, but does not want to become a source of passports of convenience like some island countries, so an applicant is required to show a genuine, ongoing connection to the country.  Reading some of the posts on these boards, the rules and the concern both seem justified.
Glad that you've found a way to complete your process.

Thanks - yes fair enough I hadn't really thought of that being one of the reasons for it. There's similar viewpoints on the same kind of issue in Canada. Appreciate all the replies. I'll get there in the end :)

I went to Brasilia last week for the day during my vacation and they transcribed it there and then for me at the Cartorio inside the shopping centre there. (http://www.cartoriomarceloribas.com.br) Took about 10 minutes from walking in the door to leaving.

Icgaff wrote:

I went to Brasilia last week for the day during my vacation and they transcribed it there and then for me at the Cartorio inside the shopping centre there. (http://www.cartoriomarceloribas.com.br) Took about 10 minutes from walking in the door to leaving.

Congratulations!   That's really good news.  :top: