Can anyone please direct me to grief counseling in Bogota?

Hi there. If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful.

My daughter is British. Her boyfriend (Colombian) committed suicide 3 weeks ago and she is distraught. The family flew her home for a week, but now she's back "home" in Bogota and still very, very upset, as you might imagine.

I've been trying to find a "grief counselor" or similar person but as she wants to see someone face to face, it would have to be in Bogota. I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help or suggest a line of enquiry for me? I'd be ever grateful.

Please message me, or if you prefer I'm fine to receive email: malc (at) heymalc.com.

Thanks if you can help - it would make a difference.

Best wishes, Malc

Sorry to hear that sad news. Seems to be a lot of suicides amongst young males in Colombia.

What Type of Medical insurance do you have?

If you have medicina prepagado they can suggest a psycologist who is covered by their policy.

Should be lots in Bogota

Best of luck

Thanks for your suggestion :) I'll check that.

Greetings Malc,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. And yes, I can imagine that your daughter is devestated ... suicide literally rips out the hearts of the ones left behind.

Sometimes it makes all of the difference to speak to someone who isn't also grieving. I'm a Canadian grief counsellor currently living in Cartagena. Please invite your daughter to reach out to me @ *** and we can set up a skype call.

It would be much better to be able to sit with her in person but I fear that a grief counsellor will be hard to find in Colombia.  Here the families tend to be close, and carry each other through sad times.

I'm a mom too and I know how hard it is to worry about the well being of our kids. I'm here and available to help however I can.

Sending a hug,
Kimberley

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Kimberly,

Could you please PM me? I've been looking desperately for a grief counselor in Bogotá with no success. Please I would love to contact you.

Best

Dear Lalasar,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of expat.com ....

Since reports on this thread indicate difficulty in obtaining grief counseling in Bogotá, which would likely be in the Spanish language if found, consider getting English-language assistance.  In the digital age, that might be your better option.

Go to the website listed below .. and in the Resources section you can find a list of helpful websites to obtain the assistance you require....

www.griefcounselor.org

Thank you so much dear cccmedia,

I'm going to contact them right away to see how much they charge for an online consultation. I have been told it's better to get face to face therapy but given the circumstances, that option would be worth considering.

I'll be posting with feedback in case anyone else finds this information relevant.

Best