Pros and cons of renewing the green "residencia"

I suspect this is one for Johncar but any insights would be helpful.

In one of its Facebook postings, on its Brits in Spain page, the British Embassy wrote "If you have an A4 size green residency certificate, you have already registered as a resident. If you registered over 5 years ago, you can ask for permanent residency status. Permanent residents have more secured rights for the future, such as the right to access healthcare."

They were talking about the things we Britons habitually call the Residencia or the Certificado de Registro de Ciuadadano de la Unión.

I've heard this before. I've also heard the counter argument that after five years we automatically get permanent residency status and that it's a waste of time going through the paperwork. Just because I'm on holiday for all of August I thought that if there are advantages to renewing my certificate then now was the time to do it. I had a look on some official webpage about getting an appointment with foreigners part of the police and the documentation needed. It looked as though I would have to supply the same level of paperwork (to prove my income and health care cover) as if I were registering for the first time. I've been paying in to the Social Security and tax systems here in Spain for about fourteen years so I already have the right to access healthcare.

I'm all for avoiding sitting around government offices if I can and phrases about sleeping dogs and not fixing things that aren't broken come to mind. But there are other sayings about stitches in time.

Any experiences of the process of exchanging an old certificate for a new one or the need and advisability of doing so would be welcome.

As you say one does not need to ever re-new the green EU CITIZEN REGISTRATION CERT. After five years it automatically becomes permanent

However, the ones issued now are credit card size so more convenient.   If one chooses they can always apply for a new certificate.

I changed mine in 2010 when I took up my right to have an Irish passport;  I now have dual nationality.  allowed my British PP lapse.  The new piece of green paper is  marked ‘permanent'.

If one changes their address they should apply for a new Cert

There is no requirements to produce any documents other than the old cert, the proof of payment at a bank, original passport and a copy

Good luck
John

Just to support Johncar's message.  We have been living in Spain for 17 years and have a green A4 residence permit. We have been told by the local Council that this is now automatically a permanent document....which you can, if you wish, carry round with you if you get it miniaturised.

However, for E.U. nationals, and indeed all non-Spanish residents who don't work in Spain, it is important to have a photo I.D. with you; either a Spanish driving licence or your current passport / photo identity document, (which you may also miniaturise if you wish).

For anyone else reading this, be aware that the green residence permit, whether you are asked for it or not, is likely to flag up your existence to tax and social security departments. It is still mandatory - though deemed unnecessary by the E.U. Parliament - for any member of the E.U. living permanently or spending the majority of their time in Spain.

Just to clarify a couple of points

The A4  green UE Citizens Cert has for some time been issued as a credit sized piece of green paper

The only one you must carry is the original. Thus If one gets  the A 4 sized document miniaturised it is not a legal document.  NB   it must not be plasticised.

The  only legal ID one has is an ID issued by one's country of nationality or one's original passport.

Neither can  be a certified copy,  unless that is certified by the issuing authority I. e.  by the British passport office or British consulate in the case of British PP.   that also applies to other documents,  for example a copy D/L must be certified by DVLA   The reason;  only the issuing authority can be 100% certain the original from which the copy has been made is a genuine document   

Everyone is required by Spanish law to carry legal ID at all times

Having said that one can usually getaway with something like an original DL or even a photocopy of a passport, unless you are at a notaries, a court, and sometime a police station,   etc

Everyone who is registered on the EU Citizens Register is tax resident in spain unless in very exceptional cases, one can prove otherwise