Still a ways to go...

Hola!!

My name is Michele and I am unofficially engaged to a wonderful Dominican man that I met through work about 2.5 years ago. We had a rocky start and about 8 months apart after I broke it off after 6 months, typical dating b.s., but as of today are going strong and very happy. We live in the Pacific Northwest and we both have some family here so we are quite comfortable.... for now.... and dreaming of our future together in DR.

He and I still have about five or so years to go before we make the permanent leap to DR so that we can save enough to buy a house there and live in relative security. I would much rather live in a resort town like Punta Cana but he is dying to move back to his home town of Sabana de La Mar. Any advice or stories about that area would be greatly appreciated!! I am here, now, because I am the sort that wants to be armed with ALL the information possible.

I am an Office Manager/Bookkeeper and an unlicensed Massage Therapist and will have my license by the time we move so I am hoping to have a solid job in the tourism industry in a nearby town. I own property here and we can afford to live on one income together and save the other, so I think we should be pretty well set up when the time is right to sell the condo and the cars and make the move. He is a general laborer and drove 'gua gua' when he lived there many years ago and wants to do it again, but this time with a business of his own. He spent about 13 years in Puerto Rico before landing in the U.S. in 2015 so he really misses home.

I have read about all the warnings in dating a foreigner who is 'beneath' me financially and educationally, but I am not a materialistic person and he is not your typical Latino male. We are both very emotionally mature... appreciating and respecting one another's autonomy. He is above average intelligent, albeit uneducated, and that's ok with me. Street smarts and life experience are more important in my book anyway. His family that he has here are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. The risks have been assessed and I have determined that it... and he... are worth it.

Thanks, Expat, for providing this wonderful resource and community. If anyone out there on the forums wants info on this region of the U.S., please don't hesitate to ask!

Bendiciones!!
Mickie  :heart:

Welcome to the forums. Glad it has been useful to you already!   Your story is not the usual one we hear!

Wishing you all the best of luck, Keep us posted along the way!

Thank you, I will!  :D

Micky, a great start. You & everyone else must realize that only a mother duck & her ducklings are the only ducks in a row. But then they  grow up & are no longer in a row. Life brings growth & new challenges & new adventures with each other.  Sometimes waiting til it is all in a row takes the edge of excitement off of it all.  You two are very fortunate to have found each other, so why postpone for a long time the chance at a new way of life.  My friend Milan use to say that people wait too long to afford to   travel, by the time they feel they have enough, they end up just traveling to their various doctors.  Join hands with him & take that jump into your future. A couple of errant ducks won't diminish the joy, just maybe make a compromise here & there a necessity. so what? You will be together! Your desire to return to a simpler way of life awaits you here.  Jump in, the water is fine.

Well say tinker.

Tinker, the philosopher...could not have put it better myself! Mickie, there is no time like the present. Life has a tendency to pass us before our very eyes and if we are not careful, we end up in our final days regretting what we should have, would have and could have done.  I get it...everyone's situations are different and I am not here to impose my beliefs or views on anyone.  Just consider the possibility of stepping into a brand new life with your significant other sooner rather than later. Worst case scenario...you don't like what you signed up for and you follow your river of life wherever it takes you. Best case, you and your significant other find the dreams which both of you have been dreaming for a long time now. In both instances, there are opportunities to learn, experience, and be adventurous. Best of luck to you both! Hope to see you un the near future. I will be arriving this Saturday to start the next chapter of my own life.

Jd

True true.......

Do what works for you!

Totally agree. Don't leave it too late and follow your heart. What's the worst that can happen, you end up starting all over again. But better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all..........

Even if I wanted to leave today, he is insisting that I go with his family to visit the island first to make sure I really want to live there. Personally I think it's really sweet that he's looking out for me. And... maybe there's a little self-protection in that he would be very sad if we got there and then I left him because I couldn't handle it. A visit is planned for next spring or early summer. So that gives me about a year to get my condo ready to sell and then we can be as impulsive as we want :)

Good for you.  It is a good plan.  Imagine moving somewhere and hating it!  This is paradise for many but not for all honey.

Check it out first.

I've been here 15 years almost and I love 95% of my life here.....LOL

That's good advice.......

Your man cares or you,concerned for you, perhaps not convinced that you would be satisfied with a simpler life. Work hard to convince him. A year is a very long time before the visit. I too, once had a love like yours. The North Ridge  quake killed her & her 5 year old daughter a week before their return home.  Grab that golden ring,.....we never know what may be in store for us.    Not being negative, .......  just saying........

OMG, Tinker.... what a heartbreaking tragedy!!! I am so sorry for your loss  :sosad:  I see now why you feel the way you do. It is very true that life is short and we never know how much time we really have.

Bless...
Michele

Money is also an issue.... even though I have a good job and own a car and a home, I am like most Americans, still only one paycheck away from disaster with no savings at the moment. It will take some time....... I don't want to be caught with my pants down!

Mickie, My present situation has nothing to do with my opinions.  My being around for almost 79 years has  has given me a multitude of experiences that have formed the person that I am. Going blind has angered me greatly, but, hasn't influenced my position on life. I don't want pity or sadness from others. I want to continue this  ride to life's termination with a passion & laughter.  Even though curtailed in so many ways. I thank those who have responded to Planner's request. Give me feed back as I write of my life & of the lessons learned through luck, accidentally, through the times spent with many, many strange & wonderful people. Things learned through stupidity & because of just not giving a shit at times.  So Mickie my dear, not seeing has nothing to do with "Ducks in a row".