The TInker Support Thread

One of our posters who has added both value and entertainment here needs some support.   

Some days it may just be a kind word other days anyone nearby might drop by....

Tinker has been through a lot in his life and now is struggling with failing eyesight.  So,  lets give him his own thread where he can vent at will,  tell us about his struggle,  ask for help, we can offer help and its very much to support him when he feels alone!

So my friend,  I am sending hugs from Santo Domingo.

And I hope you plan to regale us with stories Tinker!!!!

Hey Tinker...  John and I will be in the states for the next couple of weeks, but will get with you when we get back!  Stay strong friend!!  <3

I'm one of the newest members on expat.com/DR, but already I've come to appreciate Tinkers many, many posts.   Pithy, direct, honest.   Much appreciated.   

I'd love to hear some stories of how Tinker came to be here on the DR, and some of those "pioneer" stories!

Jim
aka ExpatRusher

I have  only post a few times. But have read a lot here.
Tinker I told you already that I like you a lot you are a funny and straight person.
If one day I finally move to DR I will love to be your friend.
Yes please tell us your pioneers stories.

Once I move there on January 19, 2019.  My husband and I will bring our dog Bella up North to make your day!  Can't wait to meet you soon.  Hope you have an incredible sunny, beachside day!

My move to the DR has been on-going now for the better part of 3 years. One of the primary reasons I decided on DR was because of the fine people I have come to know on this web site. One of them is Tinker.I had the distinction of meeting him a couple (or maybe it was longer) years ago. Tinker, your posts are entertaining and informative. Keep them coming.

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting spending a very short time with you Tinker. Our church wedding is on 25 Aug and we will be going to the Wydham resort in Cabarete on Sunday to spend a day and a half with my family. Planing on showing them Sosua for a bit on Monday and might get to the bar we met you at. If you are out, it be great to see you again..

Tinker....I definitely love the positive and fun stories! Its refreshing to hear how someone truly loves their home along with the good and the bad. You tell it like it is, there is no "Paradise" on Earth, we all have to make it our own little paradise. I still want to make DR my home...so that's a good thing!🌴🌼

My wife and I (of course, he likes her better, he, as he says, "hugs in Braille now") have met him a couple of times, and we have already developed a strong friendship with the gentleman.  I say " gentleman" to ruffle his feathers a bit!  I love his subtle humour that sometimes goes unnoticed on this forum, and his in-your-face honesty that gives you a valid opinion of his time on the island.  All through this, you can sense his love of his adopted home, and his drive to carry on.  It is unfortunate that he has been dealt the hand he has, but I feel, and hope, that he will make the adjustment.  We have witnessed first-hand his love of life, and positive attitude, as well as his generous, and more importantly, knowledgeable spirit.  He may not agree with the way we are going about our journey to the DR, but that doesn't stop us from forging a relationship.  We enjoy our time spent with him, and love his lust for life.

It's amazing to read some of your comments.  Thank you all. I know we are in for some commentary when he reads this!!!   I am waiting for it......  :)

I also have met and had lunch with Tinker.    He is a very nice and knowledgeable man on the Sousa area.   Hopefully I will be moving to dr soon.  Talking to him has helped me make my decision.     Stay strong Tinker we can all help you now.   Since you have helped so many of us.

As Marie has said Ticker's a great guy and a better friend. Leaving for the states tomorrow. See you in a couple of weeks!

First thing: by support we are NOT talking about an athletic supporter, By that read jock strap, I already own one. This thread will allow me to rant, rage, cajole, convert, subvert, sway, convince, piss off, perhaps even teach,or at least create discensstion ( by now you know my spelling sucks)  in the ranks of the mundane. I will attempt to explain how I came to be the man that I am. Much of life has been a mixture of pain, laughter, weird & crazy people, trauma, both mental & physical. Monumental love & total selfish fuck ups. I hope to be able to surprise you with the mis-adventures of a true full  blood Gypsy tourist touring this life of ours.  As Planner hinted, I'm not a happy man right now. I knew who & what I was. ... I am that man no longer,  that is what angers me the most.  This  is an introduction of what is to come, if they don't shut me down first.  If interested, Google  Tamas Janda  at "The Paris Review". It will give a slight indication of what is to expect,  maybe........   Thank you for this chance to vent & even smile a bit.

congrats!! I now am at where we met & most afternoons at the Cheers bar, the old Oasis, new owner, great renovation etc. Pedro Clisante. Near Zoilo's & Club Residencial. Any one wants cell #  PM me whatsapp  too

Can't say that I agree with all the  nice things you all have said so far, but I'll take  it as a sinner saying Hail Marys so I can go out whoring again.

Hey tinker been away for a while, did not realize the blog needed to reconfirm my email so I was not getting any notices from the blog.  I also just got back from a looong break in Punta. Cana.  Just wanted to let you know that if you need to chat I'm always around Amigo. I just reconfirmed my email, so I will catching on all tha I missed.  Be well Amigo.

I could always fall asleep if i wanted to. On the floor in the woods, under the metal bridge or next to my latest love. BUT, during bouts of pain, physical or mental, it's a no go. Now it is the fear of not knowing how I will get by, not being able to see the denomination of the money. Coins are easy because o the sizes. Going to the markets are an exercise in patience. Having lived here a long time & rather obvious as a biker, hot sauce maker, story teller and general pain in the ass, has helped me now.  The moto conchos ask, the bar, the market or su Casa?  I have never been shy, always eager to voice my opinions, often to the dismay of those around me. Always ready to offer a hand to assist someone who may need help in moving, a couple of pesos  ETC. while maintaining the ability to duck the odd punch or kick.  Lying in bed thinking of the things that are now impossible to do. No more reading books, no more being able to build things with my hands, riding my bike. or seeing a welcoming smile on a woman's face, the curve of a baby's cheek. Yup, it is no longer easy to sleep. However, there is a joy in my sleep because I have perfect vision in my dreams,  Bit o a bummer to wake up to reality. I have several rums in the evening to help the drowse to arrive.  We have different reasons for our inability to sleep, but the results are the same. not enough true rest.  You are strong, you will survive, just remember to laugh a little each day.  I do whenever the straw in the  Cuba Libre goes up my nose!

Planner just explained how i can keep this thread going. I'm selfish & need a way to write things that i think & care about. It won't be too much longer before the needed contrast to see the keys & the text on the monitor.  I would have called this thread Going Blind In Sosua.  That is only because I am. It would not create much interest. Planner is correct, appeal to the heart, help this poor son of a bitch. Boost his spirit & let him emulate eecumings ( for those o you who had an education in high school before the dumbing down of America. Yes, i do need your feed back & your tales of tribulation too. Pity & sorrow are not welcomed, some empathy is cool. Just letting me know that you are reading my shit is enough for me. I do enjoy a good repartee as well. Too much to hope for????

I'm shadow boxing true shadows here amigos, give me a fight!!

hey tinker,i have read all your  postings,what a spirited individual who has willingy shared his experience to all for a learning experience and guindance in a new country.i will be in the Dominican republic late September to evaluate our home construction in playa neuva romana.it will be a pleasure to visit you and have a chat as to how I can assist god bless  pugypugy.

Will be happy to meet.  Is pudgy   large or just a nick name? it is always fun trying to put a body or face on a members Icon.  If I could figure out how to get back the 1300 posts that this site has misplaced you would see a pic of me. Someday I will figure out how to have a pic for my ID ikon.

Tinker we all look forward to your stories.  Glad you figured out how to do it.

Get typing my friend!!!

wonderful,i will keep in touch.actually pugypugy is my nick name.you can call me Ramsey,keep well best wishes.

Done deal, hurrying before the candle sputters out. Thanks for this chance to rail against the coming night. Hope to elicit a few laughs along the way.

will do Ramsey, thanks

Tinker, I have your Hoernor Marine Band Key of "C" harmonica that's just sitting in the box waiting for me to return to the DR, to give to you. This job is getting on my last and final nerve, keeping me away from my home.

Thank you.  the need to be home is a great one. I'm lucky to be here under any circumstances. Have  a safe quick return

Today it is my dog who needs help.  TICKS, hundreds of ticks pulled off every day. Multiple flea & tick shampoo baths, the collars, the spay on the bedding down spots. I mean hundreds! Neighbor & I mornings & evenings we pull them off, sprayed the yard. Can't let her in the house. Some people say to get injection. Hard enough to get around without stepping on the ones that fall off her. Anyone know what to do? She is not a street dog.    Please help my dog.

She is a sweetheart, and deserves the efforts you are making.  I can't help from here, but hope you and your girl get some relief.  The coconut oil didn't help?

I will get you some monthly Meds for her. How much does she weigh?

Tic bites are not good for humans you will need to Fumigate if they are in the house Tinker!

Buck, coconut oil not effective. Planner, 35 ibs. Has lost weight. Small for her breed as she got preggo on her 1st. heat at about 8 0r 9 months old. Had 4 super pups. All of which are much larger than she at 6 months old. Had her spayed of course after weaning.  Thank you Planner.  And buck you seem to have lost your red cheeks in the pic, but the hat is rediculous!  (sp I know)

the tinker40 wrote:

Today it is my dog who needs help.  TICKS, hundreds of ticks pulled off every day. Multiple flea & tick shampoo baths, the collars, the spay on the bedding down spots. I mean hundreds! Neighbor & I mornings & evenings we pull them off, sprayed the yard. Can't let her in the house. Some people say to get injection. Hard enough to get around without stepping on the ones that fall off her. Anyone know what to do? She is not a street dog.    Please help my dog.

Wow, this post makes my heart hurt. Still a super newbie here but, of course, realize what an amazing asset tinker is here. I hate to hear of animals suffering. I'm a 'tough' guy with a real soft spot for dogs especially. Done a lot of camping here in Northern California with a black lab mix and a pit mix and have only had to pick off a few ticks. That is stressful enough!

tinker - I feel for you! Can't imagine what you're going through with that kind of infestation, but I wish you the best of luck. Poor pup  :(

Thanks Tinker I will get you some Meds for the dog!

Hey Tinker and all the others,  we need some help.  I found out exactly what is needed and I am happy to pay for it, but someone needs to get it and then deliver to Tinker.

This is what we need:

Can he buy ivermectin liquid it is 150 rd (US$3) . Any pet or feed store. He has to give the exact amount or his dog can go blind. Or go to any vet the shot is about 150 rd (US $3) at the vet.

So can someone go to a vet or feed store and buy this based on dog being 35 lbs. It needs to be administered monthly!   I am happy to reimburse anyone  when I am there in Sept and I will make sure we have funds to continue this!

Thanks all!

MONEY is NOT the problem!!  Mobility is the problem. I can't get around easily with my vision as it is. If someone could come to me & take me to the vet or shop to buy the  meds, it would suffice. I live near Supra Pola in Sosua. I'll pay for the gas. I am not living in poverty, I am not broke, just not rich or even close to it. Don't have enough to regain my sight, but please don't make it look like I don't have 3 bucks.  Thanks for all your help.  From the non-pauper!!

Can this be bought in the DR or only in the States?  Chewable for dogs is available here with a 12 month supply at about $55 usd.  Injectable is 50ml for about 30, but no syringes suitable for dogs and the dosing instructions tell you not suitable for dogs.

Tinker is on the NC, and I know that Dr. Bob is a well known Vet between Sosua and Cabarete.  Can we chip in for him to do it?

Tinker,  wasnt my intent to make it appear you did not have the money. I want to honor the commitment I made to take care of it!

So, that said we need help getting Tinker to the place to buy what is needed and get him back home! Maybe some help administering it????   The Ivermectin I have seen is oral dose.   

Thanks again.

I thought it was more of a problem of availability in the DR, hence my first question.  If I was there Tinker I'd pick you up!

Me too