Ah, visas again... :)

Hi everyone!

Apologies if this has been asked a million times... but I'd be very grateful for any input!

My husband and I coming to Thailand in January for 3-4 months, and hopefully will move there permanently. Whilst things could change between now and then, it's likely that we'll be going there as a freelancer (me) and remote worker (my husband).

I can't imagine we're the only people in this situation, so I'm wondering how people deal with visas and work permits if they want to live in Thailand long-term but aren't sponsored by a Thailand-based organisation. Are there companies who will sponsor you for a fee?

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to dodge anything - we only want to live officially and above board and have absolutely no interest in living illegally in Thailand. I have a very strong TEFL background, so could teach English if need be, but at the moment there's nothing in the pipeline so I'd like to know what our options are if I end up up doing freelance work for UK companies and my husband is also working remotely for a UK-based company.

Thank you in advance! :)

George

the easiest.... before coming here, go to Thai embassy and get a 6 month tourist visa with multiple entry ...easy to get,,,,no paperwork required....   and easily extended to 8 months if u know how to do.  And then when here,  look for a job and when you find one,  go to thai imigration office or visa company ( many here)  with new job offer and proper paperwork to have visa changed. 

but don t forget......with a tourist visa, you are not aloud to work

Hi cproll

Can we get the visa changed from tourist visa to the one which allows you to work with the work permit in Phuket? Or Thailand?

I heard that we would have to come back to SA or Malaysia (which would be better) but the Thai Embassy in SA says that the Embassy in Malaysia is not likely to do it. I am so confused. It will be expensive to fly back to SA for a visa change.

I have not been able to find someone who has been to Malaysia to change their visa

many jobs here that falangs ( outsiders) cannot do by law....you have to check that before looking for any kind of work, even voluntary work 

I would suggest to check online for Thai Visa company that can provide you with all the modifications on your visa status,  because you ll have to go from tourist visa to (non immigration) B visa and work visa.....

It's important to remember that before you can get your B visa and work permit, you must find a job,   because yur future employer must provide the Thai Gov with paperwork for you .

Much easier if you leave them do that for you and really worthed ...Phone them or e mail them they will answer all your concerns.     

Get a 6 months multiple entry visa and really look at all the possibilies you have here.    Take yur time, enjoy

people who go to Lao or Malyasia do it generally for a tourist visa run, wich is basically  to get another tourist visa for 60 day....and then they re do the same all over.

this may help you
https://transferwise.com/us/blog/thailand-work-visa

i hope i answered  yur concerns.
cproll

Yes, you have answered some of my concerns. Thank you so much.

My main concern however is being turned away in Malaysia and saying that they cannot change our visa status (for the example from a tourist visa to a non-immigration ED or even to the work visa) then we will have to fly back to SA.
So I am kind of hoping to find someone who has been there to do it and I can know what to expect.

I have emailed the Thai Embassy in Malaysia, I am waiting for a response. Today is a public holiday in Thailand. So I am expecting one by tomorrow.

I'd like to go to Pai to do research for six weeks in quiet location.  Haven't looked at visas yet, so whilst here. Can I get 2 month tourist online... or you have to apply to embassy? Any guidance is appreciated.

Hi

I think you would have to apply at the Embassy because we had to submit original documents and they needed our original passports.

Hope this helps.

you're joking. Bummer.... OK. On it. thanks.

Bradley007 wrote:

I'd like to go to Pai to do research for six weeks in quiet location.  Haven't looked at visas yet, so whilst here. Can I get 2 month tourist online... or you have to apply to embassy? Any guidance is appreciated.

Australian Passport holders may stay in Thailand as a tourist without a visa up to 30 days if entering by aircraft OR 15 days if entering by land at a border check point. Once in Thailand, you can request a 30-day extension at nearest Immigration office which would be in Chiang Mai, then that would give you a full 2 months. I hear Chiang Mai Buddy Visa Services is very good if you need someone to take care it for you.
Kindly, Zeus (expat advisor)