Close

about to marry a jordanian man...

Are you American and your husband Jordanian?  If you are American your son will have US Citizenship.  But, if you are not legally married in Jordan, your son will not have Jordanian citizenship (assuming your husband has it) if he does not have you listed in his family book.  If your are not an American citizen, and your husband is, and ypur not legally married I am not sure how that would work.  I'm sure he would get citizenship , but probably sonething extra paperwork, or the paper like you said.  This is my understanding of the law, someone correct me if I am wrong.

No, I don't know any laws there but I suggest you get informed for your own safety and your children!

Yes
Your marriage is legal, but I learned that you may have problems with your ability to come back to the USA. In Jordan he can say no and you would have a lot of court issues to deal with.
Also that would make your son a Jordanian and he would be in control of him ever comming to the USA with you

Hello Jamie,
Your mousque certificate is valid but you have to notarize it from two places in Amman. The first is from Supreme Islamic Court (called: qadee al qudah) located in Gardens Street next to Jabree restaurant. Second, Ministry of external affairs in Shmesani behind Eskan Complex. After that you must take it to the Islamic Affairs court in Irbid, located near Alnaseem round-about in Irbid, to equivalant it with a local marriege certificate. Honestly, the court in Irbid may require his presence.

Once the baby is born please ask for a birth evidance from the hospital. You will not be able to get a birth certificate from the Jordanian authorities because ur marriege is not documented in Jordan. The birth evidence can be presented to the US embassy in Amman to issue the baby an American birth certificate and passport.

It will also be a good idea to consult the US embassy to verify the process.

Good luck

Even if the son is Jordanian, the father cant hold custody of him until he is 16 years old. The mother will have the right of custody even if she is not Jordanian... no need to panic.

While the marriege is legal, it must be documented in Jordan for the boy to get the Jordanian citizenship. With a birth evidance from the hospital, the boy will get the US citizenship brfore the Jordanian, trust me.

Are you American if you are then yes that may be true.  You will need to make an appointment with OUR embassy and it has to be done online in Jordan you can not just call like any other country.
Also the immigration process is in fact changing. Go to the Jordanian embassy website and read your rights as well as your husbands. Go to the American embassy and read your rights as well as your sons
Please?

Also do not forget
In order to get that American  passport for your child BOTH parents must be present to sign for it.
You should contact American Embassy fast and get accurate information.
Trust yourself you understand your in a Muslim marriage. You understand your rights as well as your husband.
Now understand our laws and processes for entering the USA.
Please? Contact our embassy before that baby is born. It is in your husbands hands if he comes back to the USA, or like I said long court fight.
Both parents must agree for the passport and that is just the first FACT

Thank you all for the information, I was doing a ton of research, I am American.....I actually got my Mother in law to talk my husband into sending me back to have the Baby in America, she told him it’s better there and we wouldn’t have to worry about doing all the extra paperwork for the baby to be given US Citizenship. I will be returning after he is born with my in laws (they are great; all of my in laws have been amazing to me and my daughter) I just dislike that I can’t go do things on my own, or even smoke Hookah ( if I wanted too....of course not while pregnant) or just go to see my nieces and enjoy lunch with them. It gets so depressing but I am very submissive to my husband and I know things could be a lot worse. So I’ll continue to hold my head high but also make sure I knowledge myself with my rights (as well as my childrens) as an American married to a Jordanian. Thank you all for the help.

I developed a terrible hookah addiction when I lived in Jordan due to boredom, that I haven't been able to shake since being back in the usa. I completely understand the feeling of uselessness I had in Jordan.  I'd encourage you to legalize your marriage in both Jordan and the US while you are together, for your own and your children's benefit. Best of luck.

Jamiinichs :

Thank you all for the information, I was doing a ton of research, I am American.....I actually got my Mother in law to talk my husband into sending me back to have the Baby in America, she told him it’s better there and we wouldn’t have to worry about doing all the extra paperwork for the baby to be given US Citizenship. I will be returning after he is born with my in laws (they are great; all of my in laws have been amazing to me and my daughter) I just dislike that I can’t go do things on my own, or even smoke Hookah ( if I wanted too....of course not while pregnant) or just go to see my nieces and enjoy lunch with them. It gets so depressing but I am very submissive to my husband and I know things could be a lot worse. So I’ll continue to hold my head high but also make sure I knowledge myself with my rights (as well as my childrens) as an American married to a Jordanian. Thank you all for the help.

Please PLEASE take your time while in the US post-natal; I hate to say it, but he'll only become more controlling after you've had the child.

Thanks for sharing your view. I have a relation with a Jordanien, actually Palestinian, man from Amman. You have definitely made me re-thinking about his wish to sign a contact. Even though this will really not make me married according to Sweden law, he and his family and friends will regarding us as wife and husband. I have already, after 5 month aquintance,  3x1week visiting, been aware of the V-neck and public beaches and swim suit, not to mention bikini.
I love all that you wrote.
I have made up my mind.
Shukran!

Please be careful.
When a woman is alone in the country they seem to take more advantage of her without her noticing it or realizing it, we sometimes become blind due to our unfortunate love and affection for our so called ' husband '

Enjoy your day.

I am so happy for you, that is definitely the best thing. I am proud of you for learning and knowing your rights. I did not know mine, I did not tell you... but I am also a truck driver.
I could have checked on your husband for you, but you needed to understand your place. My husband is Jordanian and Muslim. I thought I wanted to be, I love respect admire and stand beside Islam 100%
I fight for what is right and good in the world❤️ My situation was much different than yours obviously, but I am so proud of you!!!!
And your husband
I hope you have a long beautiful and amazing life and marriage together ❤️

Is it your choice to stay in Jordan while your husband works in America?  I don't understand why someone would choose to be separated and stay in Jordan if you have the ability to live with him in the US and you are married, as it sounds like he has the ability to live and work in the US.  I know it's none of my business.  I am American and my husband is Jordanian so I understand culture etc., and when my husband had to travel for work for long periods the the US he brought me with him or I went with my family in the US if it was a situation I couldn't stay with him.  Coupled with the fact that he doesn't seem to want to legalize your marriage in either country seems strange.  It's not hard to legalize a marriage.  Please for your own sake, just make sure there is nothing going on that you don't know about, such as he has another marriage or whatever.  I don't mean any offense or to judge your situation, as everyone has different things that works for them. I wish you all the best.

Kip's information is accurate. My marriage in the US to my Jordanian-American husband had to be certified in Jordan before I was put in the family book, but our US born children qualified immediately for Jordanian citizenship and went directly on the family book (I'm pretty sure the birth certificates had to be translated, then certified, but the process was very short).

I do want to add, so you can consider, I traveled in and out of Jordan alone with the kids on our American passport without issue. As soon as we obtained the Jordanian passport, I was held at the border and had to wait for my husband to give written authorization for us to leave. Again, just something to consider. I lived in Jordan, so it was easier for us to have the HKJ passport than renewing visas all the time.

Not sure if I helped, but I know how difficult it is to get the information you need there.

Expatriate health insurance in Amman

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Amman

Moving to Amman

Find tips from professionals about moving to Amman

Travel insurance in Amman

Enjoy stress-free travel to Amman