Palm Springs - anyone?

Hi

Currently located in the Netherlands for past 2 years.  Partner now presented with 2 new opportunities at once - damn them!

For each we have the opportunity to go for 3 months "vacation" to look see while he does some project work there, but I'm in confusion as to what to do for the best!

One of the sites is Palm Springs USA. So has anyone lived there, spent time there, have any idea of cost of living, security, childfriendly etc?

My partner, myself and our 3.5 year son will be there for 3 months possibly

Palm Springs used to be a weekend getaway for people in LA (which it still is somewhat) but its also become a city in its own right. Its very secure and safe. I have some friends who raised their kids there (grown now) who loved it. It's very different from Holland! As many days of sunshine as you get days of rain, I'll bet!

I've been there.  It's hot!  Over 40C in the summer.  Most people don't live there in the summer because it is so hot.  There is lots of golfing and lots of retired people.  You need air conditioning to get around.

It's a great place to visit, but really I'd rather live elsewhere.

Hi!

Palm Springs is a small desert oasis created as a playground for richer people in the 60's. It's quite a nice place, but as I mentioned, it's like an island with nothing really surrounding it except its own playground (you can naturally drive away wherever you wish). Cost of living is quite high because it was aimed for the rich. It's well groomed, has a lot of elderly but there's others as well. It is quite pretty and has dry desert heat, cold at night in the winter but steaming hot in summer. Lots of sunshine, pool, golf, restaurants, shops and the usuals for all pleasures americans need to exist!

I'd bet you need at least $2500 per month to start live there without including much excess. More for two people. That would include rent for a small place, basic necessities, food and so on. On top of that you would need a car (a must in the US) and insurance.