Assistant Professor Offer

Hello Everyone,

I have an offer from a university in Manama, I am a PhD holder in the field of management. The Unversity is offering me 1000 BD all inclusive only which I believe is not a good offer.

Need your suggestions Please.

If the offer includes accommodation, it looks alright. Accommodation is quite expensive here so if this is covered the actual cost of your offer is 1,400-1,700.

@Amaroq, thanks for the reply. no, they said accommodation allowance is already included in the total pay so 1000 is all inclusive.

Ah okay, sorry I did not get you right.
Hmm, I am not sure then. On one hand, you can find a one bedroom apartment for 350-450 and live on the rest of your salary. On another hand, you've got a PhD, that should be worth something, right?!
Salaries here range a lot and it is difficult to say what is sufficient salary. I think 1000 is enough to sustain a single person and allow for a comfortable life, but if you have kids and spouse, who's dependent on you, this might not be enough, especially taking into account the school fees in international schools.

That's right PhD should be worth more but depends on the prevailing job market conditions. I am not clear about Bahrain though.

Well, I will move alone as I have no dependents at the moment. So, you think I will be able to afford a car and all the necessities of life in 1000?

I was just thinking to move there and maybe I can find something better in the future.

It really depends on your lifestyle and what you are used to.
One bedroom apartment can cost anything between 280 to 1000 depending on the what's included and location.
groceries - again, if you cook at home and try to buy local or cheaper brands, it can be cheap. If you need to have only Western food brands and buy lots of exported fruit/veg, it can be costly.
Even eating out can vary a lot - my friend has a cafeteria near his work where he buys his sandwiches for 200 fils. I buy similar sandwiches for 2 BD because that's what prices are like around my work place (I really should start taking lunches with me).
Have a look around this forum - there are a couple of threads on the cost of living. Do your research online too - there are plenty of website, which offer approximate cost of living.
As I said, 1000 would be enough for me, for example, because I don't go out often, I drive my own car (don't have to use taxis) and am not much into shopping (only if I really need to). But your lifestyle and expenses might be different to mine.
Good luck!

Thanks for such a detailed reply Amaroq. I will try to do as much research as I can before accepting this offer.

Refer to these posts which should give you an idea about cost of living, off-course prices have gone up.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=745829 : cost of living 2018
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231960  : Definitive Guide to Bahrain for New Expats
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=337348 : cost of living
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtop … 1#p2522261 : cost of living area wise

T&R

Good advice from everyone.

I notice that you are a western expat and hold a Phd.  Going from that angle, the salary is on the low side.

As others said, your lifestyle will play a big role in how much you save.  A standard western lifestyle i.e. nice furnished western style accommodation, new or newish car, nights out etc will leave you in the red.  Alternatively, if you are ready to compromise, you will be fine.

Also make sure that they cover full medical for you as that is another expense which can drain your pockets quickly.

Hello XTang,

thank you for your reply and advise. keeping in view your comments I tried to negotiate the package a little bit with the employer and finally they can offer me 1250BD all inclusive.

any comments, please.

Better than 1000.  Try and get medical separately in form of a full health insurance - paid for by them.

Don't take this for granted, but I've got an impression that a lot depends on your negotiation skills here. If you settle for less, they give you less, if you are good at reasonable negotiations you get more. I wonder what pay gap numbers are like here - women are usually less likely negotiate and stand their ground when it comes to pay.