Moving to Montenegro

Hi everyone,

My self and my husband are waiting for our house to sell here in UK and are planning to move to Montenegro.
We like Sutomore and already found a few properties that we like :)
The plan is once we are there I will be coming back to UK ones or twice a year for couple of months to work so we have a income until my husband gets his pension in about 7 years.

Once we buy the property we will apply for temporary residence  for both of us. My question is will I be able to work in Uk and live in Montenegro? I read somewhere that when you apply for a temporary residence you are allowed to leave Montenegro for max 2 months in a year, is this true?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

p.s Any feedback regarding Sutomore also welcome

Thank you

You should remain in the country for half of 365 days, if the law hasn't changed.

Hi
    I posted an item about this recently as I have had temporary residency for the last 3 years.
This year I went to renew my card and my wife's card and the guy told me unless I stay in Montenegro 11 months of the year that I have to reapply with all the documents that are required  to make the application.
                So prior to this I would not have needed the police report every year and statement from the bank and the insurance cover .
The clerk told me that there was a new law introduced in April.
You will still be able to get tempory residence card in your case but it just means more paperwork every year on your application..
I am not to sure about things in Sutomore area .

My accounting/legal service people told me the same as what Kumbor is explaining. I didn't know if it was old or new.. but they told me that you can not be out of the country more than 1 month per year otherwise you have to reapply. She did tell me there is an  exception  if you have to leave for medical treatment. However if I understood correctly, you have to inform immigration in writing that you are traveling for medical reasons. etc.

Thank you all for the information. I think what we will do is my husband will apply for a temporary residence and I will come and go as a holiday maker every 3 months until I'm ready to stay permanently and apply then.
Does anybody see any problems with this?

Thank you

Hi I would recommend that you should get temporary residents permit also. it will be just a matter of getting all the documents ready once a year.
It may cause problems if you don't have a permit and you stay longer then 3 months .The only extra documents you need to apply are a birth cert and marriage cert.and your husbands temporary residents card Your husband must make the application first  to obtain the card..
If you need any other information please contact me.
Regards

So please correct me

If out of the country for more than I month is needed for property owner visa  a police report from home country, 3000 euros in the bank and a statement from bank to this effect and health insurance. Anything else?

Can health insurance be international one or has to be local insurer?

Many thanks

Local insurer but this isn't an issue and can be handled within an hour.

Hi
   You will also need a photocopy of your passport and if you have an existing tempory residents card I would get a photocopy of this also just in case they might ask for it.Insurance for the month costs about 30 euro .

Thankyou kumbor

Thank you kumbor ,
I will be in touch when my house sells and we are ready to go if that's ok :)

That's not a problem and I will let you know how things went with myself and my wife's applications.Hope everything goes well with the sale of your house.
Regards

Hi everyone,
I want to buy property in Montenegro and get Residence based on that. Can I know the costs of insurance per year I should expect as I read that this is a requirement of getting the residence.

Can anyone also kindly explain the taxes involved with buying and owning property? are there any taxes for renting out property? Please guide me on that.

Also, any ideas of where is best place to consider for a family with children. Initially I will move with my two kids (2 year old and 4 year old) and my husband will stay in Kuwait to keep his job. Things I would like to consider for the place of living (affordability, living expenses, convenient for me and kids, of course it would be a great advantage if by the sea.)

My budget for property is about EUR 42,000 and I prefer a house over an apartment. Is it better to buy a house then renovate it / furnish it (in terms of costs).

Thanks and wishing everyone a beautiful day.

Hi everyone
Can anyone tell me if my husband and I can buy a property in Montenegro and get residency, also what are the implications doing so.
Thank you

Yes this is one of the 2 ways to gain residency (not citizenship) and with property ownership you can get a 1 year residence permit.
The main implication is that you are able to reside as much as you want in the country and do not have the 3 months every 180 days limitation that other Europeans have.

Thank you so much for your reply, so if we decide to buy a property and retire to Montenegro for the future will we still be allowed the residency each year, And will we be able to visit family in the uk from time to time.
Kind regards.

sure, you will be able to visit them when ever you want, I know people who were out of Montenegro for almost a year, and they just came back to extend their residency....

Can anyone tell me approximately how much health insurance is for a married couple who are 57 yrs old, and will eventually be living in Montenegro, is there many hospitals that speak English.
Kind regards.

Ordinary insurance is about 30 euro per month but it depends to asked about the age. Is  it fixed fee or depends from the age.
There are private doctors, so I think you will find  the one you can communicate with.

Thank you very much for this information Alina.