Best Thai Language School?

I am moving up to Chiang Mai from Ko Samet in September. I am looking for a long term Thai language school for at least 6 months to 1 year. Does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable, good language school that will teach reading and writing from the start? I can speak thai at an intermediate level but I have not learned how to read and write. Ed visa would be great but since it's close to Vientiane I would be able to secure my own visa's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Chiang Mai University (CMU or 'Maw Chaw') has a good year-long program. I attended for 5 months and had to leave for the USA. But the program was excellent, the teacher was bright, engaging, and caring, and the facilities were great. The writing system, vocabulary, culture and conversation were well integrated.

That said, the best program and most intense is said to be at Payap University. This on the campus fairly far from the Old City. I have not attended, but have consistently heard good things.

I've also attended the program at the YMCA. It's fine, rather low key, and traditional in its approach. You don't learn any of the writing system until you are in the upper classes.