Purchasing a car

Hi.

I am moving to South Carolina in August on a J1 visa to participate in a Teacher Exchange Program. I was wondering if it is possible to purchase a used car upon arrival since public transportation in my place of assignment is very limited? How easy/difficult will it be to get one?

Thanks.

Hi there

Follow these steps -

1. get your International drivers license before departing. Just a fee to pay.
2. on arrival get your social security number and go buy your car. Need to pay in full though.
3. get your local drivers license as soon as possible thereafter.

Best of Luck

https://southcarolinaportal.org/drivers … lina%20dmv

DMV department of motor vehicle is the official agency in SC for administration of driver's licenses and vehicle registration. Remember - you need insurance prior to the vehicle leaving the lot and it is generally less expensive with a US license.

No problem buying a 2nd hand car, just go to a 2nd hand car sale shop and buy one or look at Ebay or Craig's list to find one. The problem is finding insurance. Not sure about S Carolina but in Florida the insurance companies want a local driver's licence before they want to insure you, so you might have to go through schooling and get your driver's test etc..You can drive a rental car with an international drivers licence from another country but the insurance companies for private car's want a US driver's licence.
good luck

Hi there!

I am moving to San Diego soon and i would like to purchase a brand new import vehicle from Sweden california specification. What´s the steps to registrate this vehicle in California, please?

When you say "from Sweden" are you importing the vehicle physically or is a vehicle from  a Swedish manufacturer?

Volvo export the vehicle to San Diego with California Specification.

Sergio Becerra wrote:

Volvo export the vehicle to San Diego with California Specification.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai … to/htvr09a
Would be a lot easier to let a dealer handle it. Verify with DMV that the required forms are current and if there is specific verbiage required. I recall a major problem bringing in a Honda or so via Canada. Buyer gave up.

Thank you for the information, it´s very helpful.

Now you got my curiosity - what are you bringin in?

Volvo Direct from factory to the dealer around the area that Expat choose, factory prices.