Input on Dong A Bank sought

Greetings,

The school I am teaching at this winter uses Dong A Bank to auto deposit salary checks.

What do you all think of Dong A Bank as a good bank for an expat?

From a bank I am looking to for USD wire transfers and issuance of a debit/credit card, and I think this is about all I will need for right now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Although I don't know about finding English speaking employees, my wife used DongA extensively.  The only times I ever went inside the bank was for the A/C while waiting for her.  They seem to have a large number of branches in all districts and hence ATM machines.  Their ATMs could also access our Citibank account without a fee.  It is a private bank and at that time there had been no scandal or insolvency issues as some other private banks had.   Since then, in 2016, the former CEO was placed under investigation.   This is from two years ago but for whatever it is worth:  https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/forme … 11672.html  Regardless, as a general rule in Vietnam, if you want to have savings certificates, it may be better to spread them out among several banks.

One positive aspect of direct deposit is that it should facilitate wire transfers out if you should wish to do so later.  You still may need a tax clearance but the bank will at least know where the money came from.  I can't speak much on sending money out as everything my wife saved is still sitting in Vietnam.   :kiss: