Relocating to Singapore - Need advices for housing/location

Hi everyone, nice to e-meet you all :)

Just got my EP approval so I'm officially moving to Singapore from the US in early August. I will have a very tight schedule to find a place to live before starting work. I'd love to have your thoughts on my question/plan as below. Any input is greatly appreciated 🙏🙏

1. My office is right next to Tanjong Pagar station so I'm looking for a studio along the green MRT. My budget is around 1500 to 1800. I'm already looking at areas like Paya Lebar, do you have any recommendations on other areas that I should look into?
2. I already have a list of places I want to view on PropertyGuru. Should I work directly with an agent? Is it possible to view all the places/sign a lease/move-in within 3-4 week days?
3. I know Airbnb is illegal in Singapore, but I need a place to stay while looking for another place 😂😂😂. Should I just stay in an Airbnb or a hotel just to be safe? How do I find one?
4.  I'm moving from the US but I'm originally from Vietnam. I'll fly back and forth between home and Singapore, so is it legal to bring cooked food (rice, meat, etc)?
5. Anything else I need to know and prepare?

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

In earlier threads, we have provided detailed information on how to find a decent rental flat or room, average cost of living and other day to day needs. Below is one such link where I have given two links in my reply for your reference.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=788982

Singapore is well connected to each part of the city based country, so you may see any location near by to your office with that budget. As you rightly said that AirBNB is illegal here, so no way you can get a short term rental (like a week or so), but you will get executive flats or hostels where you can stay for that period.

You can bring limited food but here everything is available so literally you don't need to carry anything. Good luck

1. Unless you want to rent just a room (share the rest of the apartment with others), your budget might be too low - especially if you need to find a place very fast. Think where you are willing to compromise: Cost, location or amenities?
2. Agents are expensive and often useless. But if you are pressed for time, they might be your only option. Even then, 3-4 days is very, very short, two weeks more realistic.
3. Budget hotels start at S$80-100/night. You better stay in one of them!
4. It is allowed to bring food, but why???

Hi Beppi and Surya2k,

Thank you guys for your replies! I have looked into other threads and found them helpful to answer some of my general questions. I still have specific questions that apply to my situation.

As you said all agents are expensive and often useless, so how should I contact the property owner or the landlord directly, for instance if I find an apartment on Property Guru?

I'm seeing some studios with attached bathroom (basically that's all I need) on the site that includes pub and wifi for around 1k5 to 1k8 in Paya Lebar. Is it too good to be true?

I have a very simple, indeed boring lifestyle lol,  as I'm basically moving to SIngapore on my own. I'm willing to spend a big chunk of my income (up to 2k) on rent and adjust my lifestyle.

As for food, I'm just asking in case I'm craving for some home cooked food haha.

Thanks again guys! Appreciate it a lot.

You can only contact owners who advertise their property themselves.
If they engage an agent to look for a tenant, by rule they (not you) must pay him. But this is not always followed - and sneaky agents (most of them) will push you into engaging them for your apartment search: For example, they'd tell you the advertised property is already taken but they could find a similar one for you - if you say yes, you engaged them and you'll have to pay. (Lots of ghost properties are advertised by agents for that purpose!)
Whether sub-S$2k studios are too good to be true (or any good at all), only a viewing will tell. Good luck!
And all foods from around the world are easily available in Singapore, so there's never a need to bring some (or have cravings).

Thanks Beppi! This is helpful!

I assume most big properties (with lots of amenities and rooms) will have agents looking for tenant for them right? I'll be cautious and flag those that ask me to use their service.

Another question, is Homeaway.com legit in Singapore? I find its concept similar to Airbnb so not sure if I can find temporary housing on there.

Thanks!

Short-term renting of any property is illegal in Singapore, except for registered hotels, hostels and serviced apartments. So it does not matter if the website is called AirBnB, Homeaway or any other!
There are hardly any "big properties" in the sense that one owner (company) has a whole block and rents out all flats within in. Almost all flats are owned by individual (mostly Singaporean) private people, who rarely have more than one or two flats to rent out. Since locals don't rent, the rental market is small, underdeveloped and strictly dumb-foreigners-only.
Do not expect that your property experience from any other country applies in Singapore!

You may check a recent article was posted in Yahoo Singapore where you can get cheap condo units less than $2500. Try to visit those websites and see if they have posted any studio units or any units within your budget. Good luck