Banking Issues

Just got back from a meeting with BoA, really bad news. I will be relocating to Chapala area in a few month and am trying to arrange "money management".
BoA in forms me that I can't have a ML or BoA account once I no longer have a U.S. residence.
Once I sell my home and business, I will have a $650,000 to $750,000 cash balance and approximately $2K monthly income. I would like to keep the cash balance in a USD interest baring account (currency stability) and be able to draw on it for major puchases, home, car, etc.
Scotia bank has been of little or no help as they also require proof of residency.
Ideas please!

WOW! Personally, I am Canadian living fulltime in Mexico for our IRS (Revenue Canada) I am considered a non resident for tax purposes paying taxes based on the fiscal treaty with Mexico.

I spoken to Revenue Canada before making the move, as a Canadian, I can keep my bank accounts with a Mexican address but...the down point can't have mutual funds, stocks and any GIC can't be renewed after expiration thus minimal interest 1,8% (better than nothing). At our age (70-65), making more money in not a primary concern for me and my wife so we treat our kids and grandkids more, then can make their own investments.

If I may suggest, you could call the IRS and discuss the ins and outs of becoming an expat.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC

mexicogc,
Thanks, I am a U.S. citizen. Have discussed with our IRS, must have U.S. address for banking and investment here. Guess I could get an address from a mail forwarding service.
Thanks again.

Hello?,
Did you ever get your USA address problems solved? We lived until recently in Ecuador and used Earthclass mail service. We received a Houston address and had zero problems with banks, IRS,etc.
Worked very well.
John

We live in South Africa and left the bulk of our money in our U.S. Schwab investment accounts.  They will set you up with a debit card and a checking acct at Bank of New York.  So we pay bills that need to be paid in USD (IRS!) from that acct and get enough to pay our local bills Forexed here once a month.  The IRS and any other creditors accept our foreign address.

I live in Mexico and use BoA. Just simply maintain a US address via a maill box. The one I use costs $15 a month. Find one that meets your needs.

Hi, thanks to all who replied! I have the banking issue solved. Have a Houston mail service address.
Dave

Hi Dave,

My name is Dan Callahan. I recently moved  and rented an apartment in San Miguel de Allende.

I recently sold my money management firm in which we managed over 100 Million in assets. I set up a new Registered Investment Advisory firm using Chas. Schwab as the custodian.

You can have an account at Schwab even if are don't have a US residence. It's called a Schwab International brokerage account.

I recognize this response is a year after your post, but I thought you might still be looking. If you would like additional info, let me know. You can see my resume, etc. on Linked In under Callahan Capital Advisors in Steamboat Springs, Co.   

Dan Callahan

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct