Iloilo

Anyone living in iloilo?

Hi South2255.

Could you please give more details about why you want to meet people living in Iloilo?
It will encourage members to get in touch.

Thanks and all the best.
Anas,
Expat.com team :)

I am considering moving to Iloilo from Thailand. I want to meet people who already live there to 1) find out where most Expats live, and what the cost are 2) what is the social life like 3) where do the Expats hang out 4) what type of “action “ is there for a “Single” person in Iloilo? I have spent some time in Cebu. It has everything I need, but I find the cost of housing too expensive (about twice that Of Chiangmai Thailand.

Is this an active site? So few post and/or responses.

Thailand cheaper than any place in the Philippines.   What kind of living accommodations do you seek as a "single"?

I am looking for a 1 bed room Appartment, minimum 60 square meters.

So what type of accommodations are most of you living in, where, and at what cost?

Living with my wife in rural barangay in Ilocos Sur.  Electric less than 2,500 pesos a month, cable 1,000 and WiFi 1,000.  Have you ever been to the Philippines?

You did not tell me the size of the unit and the rental value.

I have been coming to the Philippines for more Than 15 years. I have had a retirement visa there for more than 15 years. I am not a newbie.

Sorry. I have had a retirement visa in the PI for more than 2 years.

c_esoteric wrote:

I have been coming to the Philippines for more Than 15 years. I have had a retirement visa there for more than 15 years. I am not a newbie.

Firstly welcome to the forum and hope you find many answers here. Chiang Mai is a great place but I can only base my opinion as a tourist in and around Thailand, party time? Patong or Bangkok. My business partner of 12 years lives in Rawai which has many beautiful destinations and is an idilic destination, put down roots and retire spot depending on ones needs, our needs are governed by the life/lifestyle and perhaps a budget or no; with chosen living or holiday destinations. There are plenty of cheaper to live countries than Thailand or the Philippines, Nepal rings a bell.

Myself and my business partner chose our differing destinations because of love, not how cheap the rent is, you can as an astute individual simply research with our best friend google.

Honestly as a dude with 15 years plus commuting to the Philippines and now holding an SRRV you could perhaps tell us a thing or two to us newbies (myself only 8 years) that have only been working, living and visiting this fine country for our retirement for and because of love, as a single man the Philippines would be very low on my list. As a single man there are plenty of better destinations and far cheaper.

Cheers, Steve.

c_esoteric wrote:

Family house we own, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, have no idea what the rent would be.

Glad I have provoked a response of more than a few words on this site! I am now age 65. I retired at age 51 and moved to Thailand at age 52. Built a house, purchased a condo, built an opporated a restaurant, and sold them all in Thailand. I have decided to make a change.

I spent 5 days in Iloilo about 18 months ago. Took some tours. I liked the city, but I did not figure out where most of the Expats lived and hung out (I.e. restaurants and bars). I am a city person; not interested in rural areas or beaches. Although I am an Old Fart now, I still like to hang out in places frequented by people in their 30s and 40s at night. Therefore I like to live within walking distance to malls, bars, and restaurants. So where is that in Iloilo? Point me the way.

I will arrive in Iloilo on 01 Dec for a 22 day recon. I am booked at the Goldberry Lite Hotel. During my last 5 day visit I stopped by Langford Place Cafe, but missed the Expat meeting times. I will make sure I attend one this trip.

Hi there 🌻

We got the same thinking of living in the future in Iloilo.
I have fond memories when I stayed in Iloilo City for a year, circa 2013.
Would you like us to talk further about it?  Life in Iloilo was calmer, cheaper, if you opt for simple and minimal life.
Let's have a chat about it.
Cheers,
Lis Manuel  🌻

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for your reply. I would love to hear more. But I want you to tell me some facts. Where should I go? What should I try? What areas do most Expats live inside the city? What restaurants do they go too? Getting this information is like pulling teeth with this group. I have already read what limited information is on Google. It is interesting that people on this forum are not even mentioning them. Interesting.

I can see why there is so little traffic on this forum. I suspect that most members are over 60 years of age, and don't talk to each other on social media. Is there a Facebook group?

I am interested in Crypto Currency speculation. I hold positions in the top 15 coins/tokens. Is there an investment group as part of the Expat Club. I would enjoy some interesting conversation when I get there.

A lot of people on this forum don't live in Iloilo, never been there.  It's true, many are your age.

I think also that many people on this forum do not like the arrogant attitude of esoteric who does not present himself to the community but just wants an answer to his question, like shopping in a supermarket !
But I feel charitable today and I will answer your question : when I go to Iloilo city I go to Smallville, a place where you have hotels, bars resturants, nightclubs. This is THE place if you want to meet other expats (and locals) in this city. I can't answer for condos or house as I am not living here.

Yes, very charitable.

So why are they on this forum? And why aren't the Expats who do live in Iloilo on the forum???

Many are on this forum because it looks good on their resume'. The expats who live in Iloilo have better things to do.

:D

A person does not need to “present” themselves, in order to ask for information. If I did “present” myself, someone like you would just say I was bragging, and call me arrogant anyway. So that is a no win situation.

If you don't effect my food, clothing, or housing, I don't give a damn what you think of me. And it should be vis versa. But if you ask me a question I will give you MY answer; and you can use that answer for toilet paper if you want; but I will answer the question. Because I try to help people out!

Where you in the US military?

Oh King esoteric ! , I answer partly your question if you read well ! Smallville is my answer and you do whatever you want with it  :D

And there is a thread in this forum called , new members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here, 2018 :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751406

You finish your first post by accusing the members of not answering your question  :D  we are not in the esoteric world, we do not foresee your questions  :D

Yes. Now ask the real question. I think I know what you are thinking, but l am not going to respond to it until you ask it.

Funny

Funny
The answer you provided I already got from a taxi driver the last time I was in Iloilo, and I did not have to “present” myself  to get the answer. I have already gone to that area, and will go again on my next visit.

I have been responding to people like you for the past 30 years. I'm not bothered. Remember “stupid is, as stupid does”.

Thanks for your reply

The pot calling the kettle black!

c_esoteric wrote:

Yes. Now ask the real question. I think I know what you are thinking, but l am not going to respond to it until you ask it.

Perhaps your handle should be Clair Voyant.

Golly gosh, I need to get a life. Woe is me and I will research and refresh my memory of My measly few years in PH. back in order. When I'm back I must remember to ask the taxi driver the meaning of "life the universe and everything". Though a lowly plebeian I seem to have nary a problem getting info from google and yes even expat sites,,,,,, but I ask google the right questions. Occasionally I ask the right questions on the many and various expat sites though some thoughts could/would differ the truth of the matter eventually comes out in the wash.

Cheers, Steve.

You asked a question, and I answered it as I said I would. You are welcome.

I get that question all the time. The question is usually based on a false assumption. Then the questioner usually ends up asking me 2 or 3 other questions before they get to the question they should have asked in the first place. I just toy around with them until they get to the point. Then I burst their bubble. Fun.

I am a former high school teacher, and contract negotiator. I know how to ask a proper question; and give a proper answer.

Looks like most of the members of this forum do not actually live "in" Iloilo, some this conversation has been for entertainment purposes only. I now know why there have been so few post over the past 3 years, and almost no responses.

I have found more useful information just reading the various hotel reviews on Agoda. Customers explain whats around the hotels, and the things they enjoyed. I will go from there.

Thanks all

Okay, Not to many partying Expats in Iloilo, best place to check out is Smallville it is an area with Bars and Eateries young crowd. You can stay at Smallville 21 Hotel about 50 USD a night 3-4 star its in the complex / SM Mall is about 3 KM from the Hotel as well don't expect the action to be like Puket or Angels City

Iloilo is a more conservative town but is experiencing a building boom also home to many new call centers, New area is being built on the old airport many new condo projects convention centre and mall even has a Fridays. I Live in Roxas City 125 KM from Iloilo we go to Iloilo a couple times a month to shop if you like fast paced and night life it is better to go to the Fort or Makati in Manila

Thanks very much for a great reply. I am just reading it. I am now in Iloilo. Will be here 22 days. This is my second visit. Was only here 5 days, 2 years ago. Stayed at the People's Hotel. Mainly took tours. Also spent some time in Smallville (including MO2). I enjoyed the city so much I decided to take a second look.

I think that when members of this forum respond to first time posters, they should immediately explain that most Western Expats actually live outside the city proper. It may save some time.

I have been traveling to the Philippines for 30 years; mostly to Angeles City and Cebu. Last year I spent Xmas and New Years in Cebu. This year I will spend Xmas and NY in Angels.

I like to be close to the Action, but now that I am older I don't need it 5 nights a week. 10 days at a time in Angeles at about all I can take. Then I want some grass and trees. I thought Iloilo might be a good compromise. I can get to Angeles or Cebu with a one hour flight, at low cost.

I'm just looking to see if there is enough my background and interest to do on a day to day basis. For example, I am currently involved in Crypto Currency; but I don't see a Bitcoin Meet Up Groop in Iloilo. I have, with the help of taxi drivers, found the Red Light District.

Trying to figure out if there is an Expat Club meeting today, and at what time.

Thanks again

Ask your Taxi driver mate and for some dude that is a former teacher and "contract negotiator" learn how to spell.
While there are many expats all over PH. Some like a private life and enjoy the local company over clubs and bars full of opportunism and the shallowness that go with it.
Good luck finding your direction sport.
Perhaps as another suggests, introduce yourself cordially and you may receive better responses,,,,,,, even from Iloilo.

Cheers, Steve.

"Studid is, as Studid does".  You are what you do. Have a nice day.

A highly educated answer from the elite "O' king. You better pick another country as we are all over you mister. Stupidity has no excuse and you appear to have fallen into a category where few repeat offenders seldom dare to venture, good luck mate.

Cheers, Steve.

There are many example of fools, tossers and wankers, one only needs to use our best friend google to filter through the mud.
Some ply their inadequacies on expat sites.
The learned read, read and read more and when in doubt read again. Reply politely.
As a said a teacher (thank god you had nothing to do with my children) and a "contract negotiator". Ha, I do that every day with my staff/oligarchy/budgets and program, very well may I ad for the last 15+ years only to be lectured to by some tosser that cannot/will not introduce  him/herself to this site in a cordial way. Simply insists that he/her is in control only to cajole his minions.
Get off the grass.

Seriously get a life and back off mate.

I guess I will go introduce myself before I ask any questions.   Iloilo bound Jan 2021 🤣🤣