Partner visa and breakup

Hello everyone, I am a non-EU national, my partner is not Dutch but EU national. I have lived in Italy for the past 8 years, we met there and have been together for 2.5 years now. Because my partner has got a job in the Netherlands so we both have moved here. I have applied and will receive the partner visa in a month, 5 years valid, allowed to work in the NL. We live together in an apartment with house contract. But my partner and I are breaking up unfortunately, I have done some research but haven't found a final answer on whether I will be allowed to remain in the NL after our breakup. I read in some old article in 2013 that says

"The court determined that unmarried partners of EU-nationals also had the right to continued residency if they could prove that they had a sustained and valid relationship for at least three years with the EU-national, of which at least one year was spent living legally in the Netherlands. The State Secretary of Security and Justice has decided not to appeal the decision. "

When I was in Italy, I was working. And since we moved to the NL, I've been working virtually as a freelancer on upwork for companies that are not based in the NL, my income now is above average, and I haven't applied for the VAT (the one-man company).

I would really appreciate any advice and help! Thank you so much!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If your current visa was issued on the basis of your relationship with your husband, then you need to notify the IND about the change to your status.  If you have not already done so, you should also declare any income received from your freelance work to the Belastingdienst.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you for the advice! But my main concern was about what are the conditions I need to have in order to be allowed to remain in the NL after the split up. Would really appreciate any input!

Hi and welcome back; this link may help you out.

Regardless, my original advice still applies.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Update: My partner and I are discussing our relationship, we want to try to make it work, i don't know but let's see i guess... But hope this post saves some useful info for others in the future finding themselves in the same situation.
Thanks for the advice, the VAT registration I'm still trying to figure out how to do it, because as I understood before, the tax I pay on Upwork is meant for the tax Upwork will declare for me in the NL but now I'm not sure. So i'm also searching on the internet about how to register VAT here, heard it's rather easy.

Jane_N wrote:

Update: My partner and I are discussing our relationship, we want to try to make it work, i don't know but let's see i guess... But hope this post saves some useful info for others in the future finding themselves in the same situation.
Thanks for the advice, the VAT registration I'm still trying to figure out how to do it, because as I understood before, the tax I pay on Upwork is meant for the tax Upwork will declare for me in the NL but now I'm not sure. So i'm also searching on the internet about how to register VAT here, heard it's rather easy.

Good luck with the future, and I hope you both can make it work :)