Relocating to Singapore - Need Info on Rental/Location

Hello all helpful people...

I recently got my EP approved and will be traveling to SG at the end of the month.

My company has arranged temporary accommodation at a hotel for a week but after that, I will be on my own.

My office is located at The Sail @Marina Bay, Singapore 018985.

For a few months, I will be staying alone and later my wife and kids will join me as well in Singapore. So for now, I am considering staying in a single room/sharing basis instead of renting a whole unit.

My questions are;

What would be the nearest yet economical residential area to look for a room based on where my office is located? I wouldn't mind a little bit of commute in the metro/bus as long as there is connectivity.

What rent should I expect?

Also, what are the commissions/agreement charges to keep in mind?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Welcome to Singapore. We have plenty of discussion on rental and other day to day expenses in cost of living section. Below link is one of the discussion thread for your reference:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=788982

For any further question, spend sometime to go through various threads related to that topic as we have covered almost all kind of questions for an expat in different categories.

Almost all rental contracts in Singapore are for a year or two, and cannot be terminated before that. If you find a landlord willing to rent out a room to you for just a few months, count yourself lucky!
The alternative, a small serviced apartment, would probably cost you the same or more than renting a family-sized flat right away.
There are no residential areas near Marina Bay. But the whole of Singapore is very well connected by public transport, so it doesn't matter much where you stay.
Expect around S$3000/month rent for a family-sized flat. It can be slightly less, or more (even much more), depending on location and amenities.

You can check recently published an article posted in Yahoo Singapore where you can get cheap condo units less than $2500. Try to visit those websites and see if they have posted any studio units or any units within your budget. Good luck

Thank you surya2k and beppi for the swift replies.