I got one extension on E visa, unsure what to do now.

I arrived from thailand in april 2018 at border. I got 30 day E visa business.  Afterward  I got a 3 month EG extension until mid august at a travel agency, with no papers, just cash and passport.  They said by augoust i need to leave country, get another 30 day E visa, then get 3, 6 or 12 month visa.  I understand laws have changed this year.  Are they correct?

Or can I get a 6 or 12 month extension in phnom penh with out a visa run to border?  I have 1 year lease on apartment, 55 yrs old, retired in USA, but dont want  to get retirement  visa here because i might still get a job teaching short time as a consultant in country in 2019 and i dont want to pay taxes in cambodia on my USA disability pay.  I also will be working abroad out of cambodia 1 week at a time.

No problem if i can get a 6 or 12 month visa after a month. I need six or twelve month miltiple entry for job interviews and work in asia in other countries.  And i dont want to get a new one month visa each time.

So what is the new law in regards to me?  Can i get a 6 or 12 month extension this year without paperwork like bank, income and job now?  I love the life style in thailand but visas here are Still better than Thailand Thanks  a lot. Shane.

Hello Shane.

Relax and read this easy solution.

1. Change your recent EG extension for a retirement extension [ER], no docs needed as you're 55.Do it when in the country, no need to leave.
Btw if your agent says different PM me, I can give you the best agent in PP.

2. Decide how long you want to stay and if you need multiple entries. The 6 and 12 months extensions are multiple entry, the 1 and 3 months are single entry.

3. Get out of the country as many times as you want, your extension remains valid.

4. If you start working change your retirement extension for a business [EB] extension. After receiving that one also apply for a work permit. You can do that yourself on line or let an agent do it.

That's all. To answer your first question: yes you have to leave the country after your general [EG] extension expires. You can come back but not always you can get a second EG extension.

BTW nobody pays tax on retirement income, so don't worry. But you will pay tax on your job salary.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team