Finally planning our first trip to DR

Next May or June, hopefully for 10 to 14 days. While this is a vacation, it's also a trip to see if we want to retire and/or snowbird there. I've researched about as much as I can from a distance and it's time to do the "boots on the ground" thing. I'll have my wife and 13 year old with me for sure, possibly my 21 year old as well.

I'm primarily interested in the North Coast - Cabarete to Cabrera looks nice. I've just recently been watching a lot of video on Cabrera, which was not on my radar before, but is now. For our vacation I'd like a hotel, condo, or something decent that is close to the beach. From being on this forum for a while I know there are probably plenty of places to choose from, but how do I find them from here? Expedia, Travel Advisor, and other sites don't show the selection that I believe is available.

I've also seen a guy representing DRescapes - that seems to provide tours to the various towns on the north coast, along with some of the attractions and insight into what life is like there. They are based in Cabrera, does anyone have any experience with DRescapes or any similar outfits? I can only learn so much from the internet, I'm trying to figure out how I can see what I need to see in a foreign country I've never been to.

Thanks for any input!

You are bound to get a lot of info from this post.   Everyone has an opinion!  My advice, take it all with a grain of salt,  find what works for you and have fun.

There are many many options for checking out the north coast in terms of tours etc.   Don't limit yourself. Once here you will see all of our options.

I do not think there are any hotels in Cabrera but there are lots and lots of options in and around Cabarete. 

Others will know more than I do about Cabrera and will chime in.....

Welcome to the forum. DR escapes is worth the time to take the tour.  It is a fast way to get a general view of the area. Remember though, that it is in essence a relatively high end sales pitch. Take the ride & then  go about on your own. Cabrera is a great area.  PM me for a couple of friends to contact in Cabrera. They are not realtors, they just know everyone & everywhere.  Other friends are renting for the summer & looking to buy there. I live in the Sosua/Caberete area  for many years & love the North shore.   There are many B&B's, condo, house rentals, boutique hotels in Cabrera & its environs. Have fun & keep us up to date on your trip.