How to not let one bad man ruin my love for Morocco?

I'm an American, and I just found out I was romantically preyed upon by a Moroccan man seeking a green card. Earlier this year, I spent a few months working over there and we had become friends, so this betrayal really rattled me and felt pretty personal.

I don't want to let it sour my impression of this beautiful country: I spent many dinners and nights at wonderfully hospitable peoples houses, and met many genuine people. It wasn't all great, of course: half the men I encountered patronized me (likely as a young woman). But before this betrayal I had set my sets on returning there to work longer-term in the future, but now I feel As though I should question myself, my future goals, and my attraction to this country. That is definitely NOT FAIR and corresponds with the thought patterns driving racism, prejudice, imperialism, and bigotry.

Any advice to get out of this trap? Lovely stories from Morocco? Has anyone experienced something similar in another country?

Thanks.

Hello

Morocco is a predominantly Muslim country. Bearing that in mind, the Moroccan men that have relationships with women as in boy friend-girl friend are going against what's viewed as upright and correct within Moroccan society. Relationships like this are not the genuine, committed and honest relationships you would get with marriage/family involvement/Islam. Marriage and family are the backbone of Moroccan and Islamic society. The guys you are meeting are just players. A decent man would ask for marriage and would be speaking to your dad. If you was to ask any random Moroccan or Muslim about what they think of these men who have boy friend-girlfriend relationships they are go8ng to say keep away from theses waste mans. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but it looks like you are approaching the bad people

Everywhere you go you will find the good and the bad. We Moroccans, have this reputation of 'lethal predators' chasing women overseas to get our ticket out of Morocco. Men like this DO exist, I'm not gonna tell you otherwise. But that does not mean that every man you approach sees you as a prey.
I was played by an American girl when I used to live in the US. Does that mean that all women are the same? Definitely, NO. My two best friends are female Americans.
I'm really sorry that you had to go through that. I am sure you will be better prepared next time to sniff them from a distance :). Morocco is a beautiful country, don't let one shitty experience tell you otherwise.

Good Luck.

Look at it from a broader perspective. You would face the same issue in "developing" countries in general. it goes with the territory. do not hold resentments for something that makes perfect sense.
This something is that in poor countries, the grass always looks greener on the other side.
Be nice but firm when preyed on.

To be totally honest, this happens to men, too.
Many men!
The culture to prey upon each other, between locals or toward foreigners, is very prevalent in this country. Get used to it.
And we as foreigners, we cannot blame them, because despite its beauty and charm, Morocco is a country where the majority of the population doesn't have any safety net. Even for the lower-middle class, their lives can go belly up really fast due to the slightest disturbance. Just one example: How come a country this big only has four reliable hospitals? In Marrakech, in Rabat, in Casablanca and in Tangier. That is very wrong, isn't?
So the only way to navigate this landmine is, before you get involved with man, please make sure that: One, he has more money than you, two, his family has more money than your family, and three, he has travelled to other countries quite often. All these criteria's have  to be met simultaneously. Otherwise you are exposing yourself to be used only as a stepping stone. If he is so incredibly handsome, than may be it's quite alright to surrender. But is someone really that handsome to worth the risk😆😆😆?

Cross post from Reddit!