Recreational Flying in/near Vietnam?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community, but looking forward to getting stuck in. By way of introduction, I'm a young professional based in the US who is strongly considering a move to Vietnam. As I'm weighing my options, I wanted to learn more about the potential to continue a dream hobby.

Flying has always fascinated me, and I'm wondering if there are places in Vietnam to do some recreational flying (assuming, of course, that one has a Private Pilot's License). There are plenty of small airports in the US, but I'm not sure what opportunities exist in/near Vietnam. If you can share any of your insights, I'd be very appreciative.

I currently do not have a Private Pilot's License, so I'll most likely complete it before making the move, assuming that it will be valid in Vietnam. However, if a license earned in the US won't be valid, and if there are ways to earn the license while in Vietnam, I'd like to know about it as well.

Thanks in advance!

After 4 years of living & travelling thru Viet Nam
I'm sorry to report 'nothing' is available (yet) for
both power or gliding.   

Lots of interest, but no facilities.   Thailand has both.

Beware too, of the inherent fear of CL=1/2 Rho X V2 X S

But Capitalism is coming Quickly...       :cool:

You might want to keep weighing your options. Coming from California, one of the first things I noticed living in Saigon: no light planes. The sky is empty of aircraft, outside of some jets at SGN Tân Sơn Nhất. At night, there are no 'moving stars'. Compare to the night time light show over Los Angeles. Guess I've seen a couple of helicopters in three years too.

My assumption, with no proof, is that only commercial and military aircraft can fly. Far less threatening things than citizens with aircraft are restricted.

I once read there is some private flying in the Philippines, I think it was about ultralights around Angeles/Clark area.