Life as a female expat in Ukraine

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in Ukraine?

What are some challenges in Ukraine that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Ukrainian's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Ukraine?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I have lived off and on in Odessa, Ukraine for over a year. Odessa is a port city with many foreigners in the summer. With that being said I have never come across a single women from a western country since I've been here. Women outnumber men and they are more beautiful then in most countries. There is no gender enequality, domestic violence, child support, alimony laws. Similar to the US in the 1950s. Corruption is high.
If I were a western women looking for a job and man I would not move to a Ukrainian city. A village might be a better option.
Ukraine is a much safer place then most westerners believe it to be and it is dirt cheap. It is not the ideal place for a foreigner to do business. But if you have outside money coming in (savings, pension or online job) then it can be appealing.