Life as a female expat in Panama

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in Panama?

What are some challenges in Panama that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Panamanian's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Panama?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

when i lived in the city we had a few single female friends ,, we shared recipes etc. our social life mostly  consisted of inviting each other over for dinner and small parties , since we moved out of the city has ended as travel by car has become tedious and dangerous . gym , yoga , American society functions are a great place to make friends

Yep, In Panama not much goin on outside of the cities that would interest the typical extranjera from any country........Not unless they revel to reggaeton, tipico and cockfights.........I would recommend keeping to the cities, even the capital, becuz at least there is a chance at some social life and interaction........Very limited the places in Panama where any woman from the U.S. Europe, Canada, etc could actually be happy and comfortable..........

Hmm... Maybe I'm not typical? I live in David and find more than enough to do. But, I'm happy hanging out with friends, learning Panamanian recipes, plants, gardening techniques, riding my bike, playing in the band, writing my blog, and lots more I don't seem to fit into my days. If you go to Boquete there are more groups and activities than you can possibly keep up with. Single women I know there keep as busy and involved as they want to be.

I like typico, never seen a cocktail fight, and only listen to reggaeton when the neighbor washes his car

Yes, of course Boquete is an exception......and David is a city....Used to be a cowtown pueblo....Now its Taxitown Metrozone.........and there are some activities there......But how many extranjeros move to Panama to live in David? Now if you have to make money, integrate yourself into the economy than of course David is the place.......and friends of mine do run various businesses there and have made the place better.......and Im glad for that.........but I wouldnt want to make that sacrifice to have to be on top of your business every single day in David.........painful to even contemplate.......

I'm retired so no business. I could probably be happy anywhere with these lovely people. I suppose the ability to be content without a lot of outside entertainment is helpful wherever you land. There are actually quite a few expats in David but they tend to be more integrated rather than hanging out with other expats.

A few of em maybe, but not many.......Most of the expats hanging  around David are not well integrated at all.....Its mostly the gringos and extranjeros who live outside of David and outside of Boquete who have come to terms with the language and the culture.........

Ahh, you may be right. Most (but not all) expats I know here live in nearby towns and are well integrated.

"travel by car has become tedious and dangerous". How so? I'm curious.