Life as a female expat in Ecuador

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in Ecuador?

What are some challenges in Ecuador that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Ecuadorian's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Ecuador?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I think planning ahead before you get there it's helpful. if you have religious connection in  your home country you may want to get in touch with that particular denomination of church in Ecuador .also you may want to connect with volunteers organization that might be working there and sign up to join them in  different volunteer Work that they may be doing .  another thing that I found helpful traveling as a female on my own if at all possible bring a companion with you because the two of you will be able to do things together have fun and you won't feel isolated.   also instead of staying at a hotel maybe doing Airbnb with a family that can orient and  assist you with things that you are going to need when you get there such as how to take the bus,   how to get around restaurants cool places to shop Etc. Although I found Ecuador to be basically low  crime  and 
safe one of my friends had wallet stolen out of back pocket while on bus, there are also hold up as expat are targeted so be careful where you go, and with whom.  Dress respectfully, and leave jewelry, ect at home

Ecuador is a nice place and am sure you'll find life easy. If you have to move here please ensure to read well about the region you will live to live and also check about cultural adaptation. Life will be more easier if you are lucky to have good people around you.

I don't know where you are from, but if you don't have good level of spanish atleast to communicate, you might find the first month rough alittle bit.

However, lifestlye is expensive in Ecuador compare to Peru and Colombia. although it all depend on the region you will like to settle. About jobs I don't know about your work experience, but as a woman, I believe you'll find it easy.

Safe trip, if you have to come to Ecuador, you might want to becareful in public places, bus and don't showoff things you've got otherwise you'll get robbed.

Have a good time.