Life as a female expat in Cambodia

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in Cambodia?

What are some challenges in Cambodia that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Cambodian's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Cambodia?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

For what it's worth, I met a woman who said she felt safer in Cambodia than in New York. Plenty of women live here now. I hardly saw any 11 1/2 years ago when I came here, but there are a lot of younger and even older women now.

Hi. I'm a mid-aged female who relocated to Cambodia end of last year.
    For the first seven months I lived in a smallish provincial town, very few westeners, not on the tourist trail. I will admit I found it very difficult and felt increasingly isolated/unhappy. The "fun" of being seen as a novelty or worse, as a human cash machine soon wore thin however I think that was far more to do with the location than being female.
    We've (me and my adopted Khmer teenager) now moved to Siem Reap and, I'm glad to say, it's another story. Not into bars or nightclubs of which there are masses here but I've joined two friendly groups and a book club that I discovered through FB and have now started Khmer lessons. People in SR have been very friendly and welcoming. I feel safer  walking around here than I did in the big city in the UK where I came from.
    So far, at least, I've not experienced any problems I attribute to being female. You have to make an effort, a new life  won't
just  land in your lap but clearly location very much dictates the type of life you can expect to find.

Hi,
I assume your teenage friend is also female and you are in a relationship. Is your friend in agreement with you.

Uuum. Wondering why you made that assumption? My teenager is a male who was struggling, physically and mentally, to cope in a poorly resourced provincial orphanage where I had previously done some teaching. After discussing his situation with my own son and daughter I decided to offer him a home with me.
    He too likes living in SR. His brother lives here and once he starts school in September I am sure his social circle will expand.

Hi Tallie,

Sorry, I added 2 + 2 and came up with 5. My mistake. You are very generous.

Best wishes,

Peter