Life as a female expat in Bulgaria

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in Bulgaria?

What are some challenges in Bulgaria that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Bulgarian's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Bulgaria?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Personally I have never felt threatened in Bulgaria, I live in a village so it may be different in the Cities. I have always felt safe, and also walking around in Varna, never had any problem, and now I am alone still the same.

The men are definitely the boss, and if you are dealing with someone professionally and the man says one thing and the women something else the woman will be ignored and always what the man says goes, he is the head of the family.

I also live in a village and feel absolutely safe.  My feeling is that whilst men often seem publically deferred to I have found Bulgarian women to have no identity crisis', are extremely confident, strong and educated women, be that through traditional education, vocational or as holders and carriers of centuries old traditions.  I benefit daily from the natural cameraderies of the women of the village from teens to OAPS's.  The UK could learn much from the women of Bulgaria

Overall, as a foreign woman in Bulgaria I feel safe. I have often walked the streets alone at night and not felt uncomfortable. I have safely hitchhiked... in fact, the only time I've been put in a sexually uncomfortable position was with other expats.

There is the very occasional street harassment, but it is not common (at least towards me- maybe that has to do with my age and appearance these days).

Although Bulgaria has high rates of domestic violence, that violence doesn't tend to spread to strangers. So, be careful about who you date.

If you are looking to expand your social network as a woman, I would suggest meeting with other women, and then expanding your network through them, rather than meeting with men. Alternatively, join a club or volunteer (red cross, scouting, etc) where you can meet men and women in a safer environment than nightclubs etc. Of course, there are many absolutely wonderful Bulgarian men who are worth getting to know.

@   kojidae

As a male brit..married to a bulgarian woman..i find them better than english women..but..there are good and bad in every kind.
Yes we live in Pomorie..and there are a few russian women..who left partners for bulgarien men..and to my knowledge..they can both be violent towards women..just have to pick the right one eh.🤣 but any nationality can be violent..personallly i have never laid one finger towards a woman..never will..for they are treasures..but i do shout a bit sometimes..
When we first bought in our village and I was here on my own I had several Bulgarian men, turning up at the gate usually drunk, even in the early mornings. I was in the village chemist when a man kept trying to grab my hand to kiss it. Luckily for me an older lady was sat on a chair in the shop, she shouted something at him, he paid for his purchase and left. When he'd gone we made eye contact and I thanked her. These visits to my gate soon stopped when my husband turned up to stay and I've never been bothered since although I spend a lot of time here on my own.
Welcome to Bulgaria.    It is the behaviour in Bulgaria that targets any foreigner for any weakness, money or potential.   Appears that you have been stalwart and you and your husband will likely not experience this anymore.  If it happens again be stern and do not be afraid to be what most consider discourteous behaviour.   It is Bulgaria and generations of thinking were destroyed by the 45 year Communist influence.  You will come to know this. 

By and large most Bulgarians are very good people however these  are what we call "Villagers!"
But I also think that how you're seen to behave will have an effect on how your treated. There's a wreaked house in our village and my neighbour mimied to me that the " English" slept all day and drank in the village bar all night , there was a problem, they left and their house was wrecked. I and when he's here husband keep ourselves to ourselves, we don't drink in the bars at night and work on our home and garden. I believe that this has been noted by the villagers and is respected.

@Sueinvarna

I am afraid your opinion shows very little experience ....in short. Not the truth. The man and the woman in BG are equally involved and they have both the right to take and act equally in an equal manners! In quite opposite from GB! British men are famous with their lack of respect  and bad manners dating from  centuries! The simple example... enjoing in the pub after work instead of going home....men's clubs...etc...

Hello Reni1960,

Welcome on board !

Please note that you are responding to a comment posted in 2018 .... This members hasn't been on the forum for the past 3 years.

Regards

Bhavna

Still a worthwhile post as every woman everywhere must be prepared for any sort of violence.  I suspect that most violence is from drunk husbands to their wives as well as drunk men who live with a woman.   My former wife hooked up with a typicial Bugarian man who didn't work and he stole all her money and jewelry and beat her frequently.   This seems to be common however I suspect it is just as commin in the USA and other counties.   This is a topic that can generate strong responses and a word to the wise is to be vigilant and report any malevolent behaviour immediately.   Likely the police won't do anything but making a record is important.   One thing about police records is they refuse to give you a copy of the report and most reports are thrown out of the window when they leave so document with your cell phone.  Tell your friends and be vocal. 

In life you shouldn't be native,

That's my way of thinking.

Sophie

@Johnavann

I don't think that it is very commom for a non-Bulgarian woman to hook up with a Bulgarian man due to male reputation of dominance in Bulgaria.

The opposite is true for Bulgarian womem, who are looking for the relative stability from international partners and tend to look after themselves well to be attractive to the opposite sex.

As for the police force, yes they are pretty ineffective but, for example, are they any better in the UK where they do keep records but make very little effort to solve the case?

The biggest problem here in Bulgaria is the selfish attitute fuelled by the blatent corruption from the top down.

The biggest problem here in Bulgaria is the selfish attitute fuelled by the blatent corruption from the top down.
-@Bistra Bogoeva

Examples? How does it affect single women living in Bulgaria?