Throw away ticket from Hanoi

My wife has accepted a teaching job in Vietnam commencing next month in Hanoi.  It is now common for a forward ticket to be required.  Could members assist with which is the cheapest option for her.
Thank you.

Slow Bus to China? You could order ticket from a travel agent, maybe online.

But I don't know why you think the airline check-in counter would hassle her for a forwarding ticket if she can show a letter of employment. Vietnam (or every country) wants people who have a legitimate reason for being there, to stay. It is the bums on tourist visas they want to keep moving along.

mogo51 wrote:

My wife has accepted a teaching job in Vietnam commencing next month in Hanoi.  It is now common for a forward ticket to be required.  Could members assist with which is the cheapest option for her.
Thank you.

Usually at the VN airports they don't want to see a return/forward ticket. I was never asked for it in the past 7+ years even while travelling on a tourist visa.

In one isolated case (posted by a member on this forum last year) a guy from Singapore said he was asked to show his forward/return ticket.

Since your wife has accepted the job, please tell her to ask the employer to send her an official Letter of Invitation (with a red stamp). She can then apply for a business visa (3 months) or get a VoA  (type DN) at the airport with a prior approval from the immigration (Letter of Approval).

Later it will be easier for her to get a WP while she is on a DN (business) visa.
Also, no worries about a forward ticket at the airport.

Even then, if asked for a forward ticket (least likely) she can say she has plans to travel to China/ Laos/ Cambodia by bus.
As @gobot said, if you want you can buy a throwaway bus ticket online (e.g. HCMC to PP)

Thank you for the reply.  It is more the airport at Manila that may be the problem.  I have been asked for this many times and at different airports.  They seemed to have upped the interest in that regard the last few years.
But she will have a letter from employer and get a 'visa on arrival' as suggested.

More this end was my concern, but with t hese relevant documents she should be alright.
I have to follow her in a month or so, it will be a different ball game for me. But HCMC to PP looks like the go.
Thank you.