Can I live separately from my husband after marriage?

Hello everyone! 

I am planning to marry with my French boyfriend in November.  Due to our current situation (kids, cat, etc), it is not easy for us to live together immediately.  Since I am on my student visa (which will expire soon), I will have to go through the immigration process after the marriage.  Do you think it will be an issue if my boyfriend and I won't live together?  Is there anyone who is married, but live separately from his/her partner?  Is it true that the immigration officer will come to our house to check without any advanced notice?

Thank you for your advice! 

Zoe

Of course, you can live separately, why would it be an issue?

There could be if immigration think it's a marriage for visa scam.
I'm sure most married couples are pretty keen to live together and immigration are likely to think the same way.
Be honest with them and explain your reasons fully.

Thank you for your response, Fred & SimCityAT,

I heard that one of the requirements for someone like me to marry with France citizen is to show the Immigration a proof of cohabitation (a joint account for phone service, etc).  So I am worried if my application for the status change would be denied if my boyfriend and I won't live together.  But probably our application would be accepted, right? 

I will talk about this with my boyfriend again and find the way to marry without any (or less) problems.   Again thank you so much for your advice!