Moving from England to Siem Reap in August

Hi Siem Reap expats  :)
I am planning to move to Siem Reap in August and making some new friends while I pursue my Volunteer work. I will initially come in on visitors visa with the intention on applying for a Retitement Visa after 30 days.
Q. Can I travel on a one way airline ticket or open ticket as I intend to stay for at least 6 monthes and rent an apartment ?
Any advice / tips would be much appreciated. Also what is healthcare like in Siem Reap - Dentist / Doctors ?  Should I take out a healthcare plan or just pay as you go. ?
Looking forwards to making some new friends and becoming part of the expat community 😊
Cheers John.

A few hints. Enter with a Business Visa. Only a few dollars more and it offers more  flexibility. Before you leave the Siem Reap airport, get a CELL CARD  to put into your mobile. Have you hotel phone number handy so your driver can call and find it easily. DidFirst ask if your hotel offers free airport pick up. Many do. If you need any help, call me at 017530971.  When in August do you plan to arrive. I ask because I occasionally go to Bangkok for a week.

Hi 🤗 ... Thankyou for your quick reply and very useful tips 👍🏻.
I plan to be travelling to Siem Reap in early August. I've bewn twice before. Last year on an an Adventure Travel group tour and this April when I worked at the Helping Hands School with a UK based Volunteer company called Globalteer.
I am now retired and loved Cambodia / Siem Real so much that I want to return for longer and do some more. Volunteer work and make new friends. I spent 4 years in America working for the Scotts Miracle-Gro Company in Ohio. Look forwards to meeting you. Cheers John.

Hello John.

As for the visa and extension, you are not allowed to work on a retirement extension of stay.

If you want to work you have to go through the hoops of getting a Business [EB] extension of stay within one month of your arrival on an Ordinary [E} visa.
You will need a letter from your employer with letterhead and official stamp.

After receiving your EB extension you need to apply for a work permit. You can do this on line yourself or ask an agent to do it.

It costs quite some money and I wonder if it's worth the hassle for a six months stay.

But of course up to you. I hope you will have a pleasant stay.

Probably one of the local expats will inform you about doctors, hospitals and more, if not just come over and start talking to the local expats.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks Joe for this advice 👍🏻
I am not planning on seeking paid work.
Presumably Volunteer Work (unpaid) is OK under a Retirement Visa ?
Cheers
John

john connel wrote:

Thanks Joe for this advice 👍🏻
I am not planning on seeking paid work.
Presumably Volunteer Work (unpaid) is OK under a Retirement Visa ?
Cheers
John

No, it is not, that's why I warned.

Volunteers also have to have a business extension and a work permit.

Cheers.

Joe

OK ... I understand 👍🏻
Thanks for confirming Joe.

Any suggestions from members in Siem Reap on quiet / safe suburbs or neighborhood to rent in?

You are allowed to fly in on a one way ticket, few exceptions are some African countries I believe.
Just an afterthought, some airlines I have read may refuse you a one way ticket, it's never happened to me though in 10 years.

Hi... thanks for confirming.
I'm arriving in a few weeks time :)
Looking forwards to making some new friends.
Cheers John

Rainman1 wrote:

You are allowed to fly in on a one way ticket, few exceptions are some African countries I believe.
Just an afterthought, some airlines I have read may refuse you a one way ticket, it's never happened to me though in 10 years.

Not exactly.

Cambodian Immigration don't care at all if you fly on a one way ticket or not, it's not of their concern.

But airlines sometimes demand a return or forward ticket. It is because the airline is responsible to fly you back in case you are not allowed to enter Cambodia.
But again some airlines make it possible to fly on a one way ticket by letting you sign a waiver of responsibility, meaning you cancel the airline's responsibility to fly you back in case you are refused. That way they are "covered".

So ask your airline what their rules are, different airlines, different rules.

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks Joe,
I'm flying on a one way ticket with Thai Airlines (via Bangkok) but have my Cambodia e-Visa already approved so hopefully no problem.
I will check just in case.

john connel wrote:

Thanks Joe,
I'm flying on a one way ticket with Thai Airlines (via Bangkok) but have my Cambodia e-Visa already approved so hopefully no problem.
I will check just in case.

John, check with Thai airways if they allow you to fly on a one way ticket. On the other hand, as you fly to Bangkok and then take a plane to PP you have a forward ticket so you don't apply to stay in Thailand and cannot be refused. So I think all ok.

You realize an E[lectronic] visa is a tourist visa?
It expires after 30 days and can only once be extended for another 30 days.
So total 60 days, then you have to leave the country.

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks Joe for all your continued help👍🏻
I have got my e-Visa (tourist visa) as I did not want to have to wait at airport and know it's only for 30 days.
As I am planning to stay for 6 monthes + and rent an apartment please remind me what via I need to apply for within my 30 days.
I am not planning on working but might do some volunteer work to keep me occupied.
I'm not sure how easy it's goinf to be to get my Volunteer company to support a business visa as I think j they have used up their quota with their interns.
What are my visa options to stay legally I'm Cambodia for 6 monthes +
I am 56 years old and have a pension tonsupport muself.
Regards
John

Hello John.

I missed this post of yours so I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner.

You made the mistake to come in on a tourist visa that can only be extended once for 30 days. So after 60 days you have to leave the country.

You should come in [maybe you throw the e-visa away] on an Ordinary [E] visa, at the airport for 35 USD.
That visa can be extended within 30 days for en extension of stay [EOS].

You can easily get a retirement EOS called ER, even for 6 months, but you're not allowed to work, not even volunteer work.

As your employer's quota has been used up you can't get a letter to apply for a business EOS called EB.

If I may say so I advise you to just stay 6 months and relax. If you want to retire here and work you come back any time, prepare your employer to get your name in the quota for foreign workers and get a business EOS plus a work permit.

Good luck.

Joe