Living in the Huelgoat area

Hello there! I'm thinking of re-locating to the Huelgoat area of Britanny sometime next year. I wonder if there are many people on this forum living in that area? Are there any regular meet ups?

Thanks, Ron

Nice idea. I am wondering the same thing for the Loudeac area.
I know there are lots of English people living in Brittany, but a regular cafe meet-up somewhere would be nice.
Good luck anyway.

Hello there. I would be interested in any sort of meetups in Brittany. But I'm sorry to see that so far, this Forum doesn't appear to be especially welcoming as a group!
When I went to live on the island of Gozo (off of Malta) a few years ago, I found their forum to be very friendly, welcoming and helpful. They held (and still do) Pub Quiz's, Car boot sales and organised walks etc. In fact I'm thinking of going back there!
What is it with Brits. in France, I wonder ?

Regards,
Ron

Hi Ron

I think that kind of thing is out there in Brittany, but this forum doesn't seem to be the one to tell us about it so far admittedly. If you find out a better one can you post it on this thread please? Good luck, l am sure you'll find some eventually. Have you tried putting a sign up in local supermarkets,cafes etc?

Thanks for your reply. I haven't actually moved to live in France yet. I'm planning on going over in my Motor-Home towards the end of August to have a look at a few properties. I liked the Huelgoat area when I visited there before and property is quite cheap in Brittany anyway. Also I like the idea of living in a rural area. It's quite noisy where I live at the moment. I live in Bournemouth and a lot of the bungalows round here are being renovated.
Anyway, if you have any observations and/or tips for living in France then I'd be pleased to hear them. What's it like where you live?

Regards,

Keith

Hi Ron, yes it's busy here and we're looking forward to escaping!  we haven't acually moved there yet either.
We are about to buy near Loudeac - only because it seems the cheapest area! Prices are amazing aren't they?  But it is not near anything very interesting except Josselin, which is pretty and has a large British contingent we've heard.
Cleguerec has lovely countryside and enough facilities, l fancy that area, but if you have money you can move nearer the coast of course. We looked east as there's supposed to be less rain (we're currently in Plymouth !) Huelgoat is one of the wettest l think..? Nowhere is more than an hour from the sea in Brittany so it's hard to choose a location...

I just read a mental health book that said there's no such thing as a wrong decision (nice to know!) They all have +ve and -ve aspects, but enable growth. I know it sounds daft - but l am such a procrastinator it does make sense to me!
Maybe you should make contact with a friendly group and then buy in that area - we're hoping to do it the other way but only because we feel it's now or never. God knows what will happen with Brexit...