Accommodation and employment

My daughter Ashlea, (University Teaching Degree Australia 27yr old).  and myself (Phlebotomist/ Ambulance Officer Would like to move to De Nang, for 1+ years. Where do we apply?  I'm sure we would be an asset to the Vietnamese community. .. Where to now?  Accommodation and employment options    Braydon.........

Best to apply for work when you arrive. Do a Celta or Tesol course before you arrive. Teaching English is your best bet for work.

Thanks Colin,
I wouldn't think my daughter would need additional training. As she has a Teaching Degree with Uni SA, and works as teacher here in SA.  But I acknowledge even with my specialized Advanced First  Aid and Logistics Warehouse/Transport Management.  Employment and training e.g. CSR, Linfox. We would be a great asset for workers and friends of Vietnam. I would be willing to complete the courses you suggest, to receive additional recognition.  Braydon

Hi  Colin,
I'm 57, semi retired. So work is not that important to me. But would be nice to have some casual work. I would prefer to have some plans set up before I leave Adelaide. So I can rent out my two properties before I leave for Vietnam, Bali or Penang???     Braydon

I have a BEd which I would assume is the equivalent of your daughter's degree.   While assembling my documents for my WP, my lawyer initially said that because I had the BEd, she would not need my TEFL certificate.  Moments later she had second thoughts and decided to use the TEFL in the packet.  She apparently thought it best to hedge against a bureaucrat who either did not or chose not to understand the law.

Based on that experience, I assume that the TEFL may not be legally required if one has an education degree, but that it is probably best to obtain and include the TEFL certificate with your documents.

I am sure that as long as you work out the qualifications, your daughter will be a fine ESL instructor.  Exempting myself from this judgement, the best teachers at my center were clearly those who had been regular teachers in their home countries.

Braydon wrote:

Thanks Colin,
I wouldn't think my daughter would need additional training. As she has a Teaching Degree with Uni SA, and works as teacher here in SA.  But I acknowledge even with my specialized Advanced First  Aid and Logistics Warehouse/Transport Management.  Employment and training e.g. CSR, Linfox. We would be a great asset for workers and friends of Vietnam. I would be willing to complete the courses you suggest, to receive additional recognition.  Braydon

You may find some work in those fields, but it wont be easy to find unless you work for a foreign company. Your biggest hurdle is that most employees speak Vietnamese, hence they will generally seek a local for the job.

Another thing for your daughter to consider is employment at an international school, teaching regular subject matter.  She would be working longer hours but the compensation could be a lot better.  ESL teaching is pretty much ala carte paying only for "face time" hours worked, with no vacations or paid holidays.  Working at an international school could afford better benefits.

If you have advanced first aid skills you could consider putting together a course on that and try to sell it at local facilities, hotels, and places where tourists gather. The English think is a hardship, so try to find a local partner who can translate the course for you.

Thanks Mike.