Freelance Visa Application Help

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out the best way/how to apply for the 1 year freelance visa.

I have accommodation in Budapest with a citizen there who can write me a letter, and I think I meet all qualifications.

I'm just super confused on how to apply and the asylum website doesn't give clear instruction.

At this point I'd rather not waste time applying incorrectly, so I'd be open to a great immigration attorney. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

dtraxler wrote:

one year freelance visa.

I am not sure that this visa type is an option in Hungary, at least that I am aware of.

In general, "freelance" is somewhat also a non starter here. If "freelance" work is your only source of income, you almost always have to start a business anyway. Even working on the side, getting a freelance tax permit is rather difficult and usually only designed for minor, infrequent, sources of income in addition to your normal job.

That, for example, was one of the reasons Uber left Hungary, because the government was saying that their drivers had to register themselves at least as a KATA self employed person to drive for Uber. The government here wants to make sure you pay all your social and income taxes on any income and so they pretty much always insist on you declaring one of their taxable entities, and "freelance" is not one of them most of the time.

klsallee wrote:
dtraxler wrote:

one year freelance visa.

I am not sure that this visa type is an option in Hungary, at least that I am aware of.

In general, "freelance" is somewhat also a non starter here. If "freelance" work is your only source of income, you almost always have to start a business anyway. Even working on the side, getting a freelance tax permit is rather difficult and usually only designed for minor, infrequent, sources of income in addition to your normal job.

That, for example, was one of the reasons Uber left Hungary, because the government was saying that their drivers had to register themselves at least as a KATA self employed person to drive for Uber. The government here wants to make sure you pay all your social and income taxes on any income and so they pretty much always insist on you declaring one of their taxable entities, and "freelance" is not one of them most of the time.

The other way is to open a limited liability company - a Kft - but the capital and operating requirements seem rather oppressive but not impossible with help.

Whatever happens, reducing liability is cat and mouse as usual and it will involve paying, then paying again and yet again paying.     

Professional assistance recommended.

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co … p;lang=ens to be super new as of April 2018 so I'm not sure anyone except a law firm would have knowledge but it's here:

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co … mp;lang=en

It's for “Job searching or entrepreneurship”

Does anyone have a reputable firm to recommend?

Thank you!

dtraxler wrote:

It's for “Job searching or entrepreneurship”!

Being a freelance worker and being an entrepreneur are two very, very different business models.

That is, if you take independent self made work by client order, to create web sites on demand, you are a freelance worker. If you pour your own money into a business that builds web sites, often hiring others, you are an entrepreneur. (This is, I admit, is overly simplistic, but it cuts to the meat of the issue.)

Which one exactly are you really interested in?

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I would definitely want to do the Entrepreneur path of that link, since I currently own 4 digital marketing companies based here in the US and that is the source of my income to be able to sustain my living and growth in Hungary.

This is why this visa looks perfect for me, I'm just confused about the process and would prefer to have expert assistance on it - both to not waste time, and make sure it's done right (seems well worth the money!)

dtraxler wrote:

I currently own 4 digital marketing companies based here in the US and that is the source of my income

I recommend you consult with a competent international corporate tax law firm.

I did when I came to Hungary.

Best $400 an hour I ever spent. Well worth the cost.

Thank you, I'll do some researching!