Vehicular jungle

I couldn't find current statistics on pedestrian mortality, but I did find the following article with stunning statistics: http://www.post-gazette.com/powersource … 710020201.

Looking at the Cabo Rojo map, looks like the most dangerous junction is where PR100 meets PR102, but that's precisely the location of Econo, apparently the only supermarket in the area.  I had thought of renting close in, but the reckless drivers combined with few major streets and literally millions of cars make me think that living closer to the water, maybe a gated, limited access community, in places like URB Elizabeth, Mansiones del CR, ALTS de Joyuda, or anywhere well west of PR 100, and just relying on Uber would make PR living more livable and safer.  Is there anyone in CR//Boqueron who can confirm this, or is it just total mayhem no matter where one chooses to live?

Mayhem anywhere you go. People are paying attention to their phone. PR 2 is probably the worse spot, that is where I read most accidents in PR.

BTW that URL does not work for me.

Didn't work for me either Rey, so I "Googled" enough to find it.  Made it a tiny URL.  Let's see if this works for you.

Here is the thing, a car is a necessity in most of PR. A lot of times both parent work in different areas and kids also need a car to go to school and or college. So yes gas is needed.

Running over pedestrians and bicyclists is bad enough. And then they just take off leaving them there. Hit-and-runs all over the place.

NomadLawyer wrote:

Running over pedestrians and bicyclists is bad enough. And then they just take off leaving them there. Hit-and-runs all over the place.

Hit and run is common all over the island, there could be any number of reasons, like illegal weapons and drugs in the vehicle. Or drunk or scared, or dont care, hundreds of reasons or should I say excuses?

Hello  we lives in cabo rojo on rt 102
Thatbis a crazy busy road. Its a non walking road,  not safe. Not sure you are looking for a walkable road
Contact me if you have more questions

Good, truthful answers. And vehicular mayhem is only one reason for a senior citizen to stay away. Too bad. Nice beachside homes in the CR area, but no place for senior with osteoarthritis in hip. Even in Tucson, AZ, pedestrians with the green do not have the right-of-way, have to dodge deranged drivers. They also hit, run, and drive away. These fools can't even drive in parking lots. Been backed into by drivers not bothering to look first. This explains my post.

Just doing my due diligence. I foolishly thought a place like Dutch Sint Maarten might be nice and tranquil, even with the cruise ships. Just saw videos taken in June of this year. Cars bumper to bumper, not moving, and this is a postage stamp-sized place. Dutch clean? Dumpsters all around, full, to overflowing. Thanks, but no thanks.

Thanks again for the honesty.

A lot of the hit and run occurs because of fools crossing in the wrong place, dark areas, not cross walks, walking along a road with no sidewalks, not walking facing the oncoming traffic and not looking before crossing. It is not just the drivers, it is the pedestrians fault most of the times. Wait for the street to be clear, look both way and get across quickly while looking both ways while you cross not being distracted. If there are cars, make eye contact with the driver, see if they will let you by or they intend to not let you by.

A lot of people just cross in between cars going by, or run across, a lot of times only looking one way and a little surprise happens.

You can not assume they have good brakes, they may not, even if their breaks are perfect, they may not be paying attention. As a pedestrian you should wait until it is safe to cross or move from that spot. You want to be able to see incoming traffic in both directions at a distance, so close to a curve is not a good idea. Contry roads are the worse, they have hills and lots of curves. Try signaling the driver so they know you want to cross or better yet move from the spot so you can see incoming traffic

If you want to live somewhere where walking is  safe tou might want to look into the country of Belize