Highly Skilled Migrant Spouse Visa - Apostille Requirement

Dear Friends,

I am an Indian working in Singapore, my employer is applying for a Highly Skilled Visa for myself and dependant visa for my wife to work in the HQ in the Netherlands. They requested me to get our birth certificates to apostille from Indian External Affairs ministry which will be later required to register us in the local govt ofc. They did not request for marriage certificate to be apostilled. I have 2 questions:

1. My company is registered company in IND, how long exactly will it take for our visa's (highly skilled migrant visa cum residence permit) to be approved?
2. Is it compulsory to get the marriage certificate apostilled as well? If it is compulsory then can I get this done after I land in the Netherlands (within first 2 months)

Thanks
vineeth

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Highly skilled visa's get priority and are normally issued or refused within a few weeks.

If they have requested you to supply any official documentation i.e. birth/wedding certificates, then they must be apostilled.  If in doubt, get your company to speak to IND.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

thank you for your reply. It will be good if someone can advise a more specific answer.

Can anyone who received the "Highly skilled migrant visa + residence permit" together with spouse visa advise me exactly how many days did it take for you to get a response from the IND?

Were you asked to apostille your marriage certificate?

Thanks
Vineeth

You can proactively get a copy (download or get issued a fresh copy) of the marriage certificate apostilled, when you do the birth certificates. It doesn't cost much and will avoid any possible hassle in your registration once you land here (I mean, if marriage certificate is required apostilled you don't have to run at that point of time).

Hi,

The official response is that the statutory period for making a decision starts on the day that the application is received and that the IND has to make a decision within a period of 90 days; however, people's experience is that many applying for skilled-migrant visa's, have received their response within 14 days, however, this can be influenced by many factors (i.e. staff shortages at the IND office handling the application; additional questions raised by the information provided).  So one person's experience may not reflect yours and really shouldn't be used as the basis of any travel plans.

With regards to your marriage certificate; the IND website is not specific, it just says "your employer has a list of what's required"; all I can offer is that if you have been asked for it, then it has to be apostilled and translated into either Dutch, English, French or German and be presented before they will grant your visas; it's part of the checking process (i.e. does the applicant have verifiable proof that he/she is married?).

If you have extenuating circumstances, then you should ask your employer to speak to the IND on your behalf to make the representation.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks a lot Cynic.

Hi @vineethr2k

Did you provide the apostilled marriage certificate to IND and has your application been approved? If yes, how long did it take? Please advise.

Regards,
Srujan

Hi Srujan,

Yes i had to show Apostilled Marriage Certificate in Municipality while registering. My Visa document took some 4 weeks to be approved.

Regards
Vineeth

Thank you for your response. Appreciate it.

Hi Vineethr2k,

Some questions , hope you can help.
Could you please let me know what were the documents apart from Marriage certificate needed to be apostilled and how long it took ?    Also If you know why it had to be apostilled?  Was not in English ?  Or is it a general rule?

Was the birth cerficate needed at the time of registration ? I see it is mentioned that not needed for highly skilled migrants ? Please let me know your experience.

Regards,
R

Hi Reshma,

Birth Cirtificate is mandatory at the time of registration. Netherlands needs these 2 documents to be appostiled. Marriage certificate is necessary if you are bringing your spouse along.

I know my colleague who did not have them appostiled but they were give some 3 months to get the documents appostiled.

For me it took 2 weeks to get it appostiled through VFS office in India through my parents.

Dont forget to share your experience here after everything is done successfully. Good Luck.

Thanks
Vineeth