Where do housemaids live if you're on a compound

Afternoon all,

We are a british family of five currently living in abu dhabi, but considering a move to riyadh for husbands job opportunity.

We've been making some enquiries into the larger compounds and it doesn't seem that having maids accomodation as part of the house is very common (unlike in the uae where having maids room is standard in most villas and a lot of larger appartments)... where do full time housemaids live? Does the employer find them accomodation off compound and have them come in every day? Or, do not many expat families have full time help?

Looking forqard to hearing advice and experiences of this situation! I have three chikdren agrd four and under and really appreciate having live in help at the moment :-)

Varies from compound to compound but generally in the larger villas in some (and not all compounds), there is a maids room inside the house.  Or if there isn't, people make arrangements for full time staff but usually inside the house somewhere.

The big difference between UAE and Saudi is that in UAE it is easier to sponsor housemaids if you earn enough money.  In Saudi, there are additional issues related to the profession on your Iqama/residency; not all professions are eligible to sponsor housemaids.  And unlike UAE, getting the right profession on your Iqama is not easy if you are an expat e.g. I know CEOs who don't have manager designations because they are meant for locals. So they make a lot of money and live on expensive compounds but cant sponsor housemaids.  As a result, quite a few people hire daily visit help vs. full time live-in, even on compounds.  Physically visit a compound in the morning and you will see a parade of maids entering and then leaving in the evening :)

Ah, thank you for the information. We've seen quite a few floor plans and there doesn't seem to be any maids rooms... And I was shocked at the cost of rent on compounds - I thought the UAE was expensive but it seems to be double what we pay here in AD. So, if a lot of the maids are "live out" what would you say is the average salary for a maid? As we have little ones and my husband might be working away for a good part of the week I really need help first thing in the morning and around 7pm... How do the maids get to and from accommodation? Does the employer have to pay for taxis etc.? Many thanks in advance for your help.

It varies from person to person.  Generally, the higher the salary, the better the help you get.  Some friends I know pay around 2000-2500 SAR for a full day live out maid and transport is part of the salary.  Others pay less and pay separately for transport.   Usually they get around using taxis.