Moving Manama, Bahrain

Hello everyone,

My name is Atit Sharma, i am from Mumbai, India. I have been evaluating opportunity offered to me from Bahranian construction gaint for the role of Accountant. The parent co.. is listed in Bahranian stock exchange employing over 9000 employees.
Skype Intetviews were conducted by managers & a director. Process took nearly a month. Finally i am shorlisted and employment is offered to me on the following basic terms

1) Basic pay of 350 BD monthly.
2) Company provided furnished shared accomodation (seperate room no bed sharing)
Common amenities gas etc to be taken care by co.
3) Food to be managed by self.
4) No contractual time boundation. Can leave at wil anytime serving 3 months notice time.
5) 30 day yearly leave with travel arrangement by co. for bahrain mumbai bahrain leg after completion of two years.

From what i have researched i personally feel this as a decent deal. I have managed to speak with couple of guys working presently with the co. and reviews are positive except for growth and salary revisions.
I am looking at this as a long term opportunity. I am 32 already. Planning to get married by next year and settle in bahrain.
I had coversation with the management regarding family accomodation in future and growth opportunities working long term. Reply was diplomatic - depends on your performance and management discretion.
I understand it as a decent deal for a bachelor but not sure if i would survive with family (wife). (2yrs down)
I am researching but i find contrast in almost everything. Eg. I find websites which suggest rent for 1bhk at 250 to 300 range and others which suggests studio house for as low as 125-150 BD. Similarly there is contrast on fooding and other expenses on different webs.
I am assured some house allowance in addition to basic pay on vacating the bachelor accomodation if i live on my own.

I seek your guidance on the following
(Consider me a simple and modest guy not spending highly)

1) What kind of growth can one expect at working in bahrain?
2) Is this a fair offer?
3) Two yrs down (expecting salary to more than what is offered and getting HRA) would it be sufficient income that i would be in position to manage my family. (If i had to manage accomod ation on my own)
4) Can one really get decent accomodation for family of two in Manama at 150 bd or less?
5) Should i take this employment?
6) Any valuable advice from you if there is  anything i have not contemplated on till now.

Only on my consent to these terms they would give me formal offer letter. And i have to let them know the at the earliest. Pls advice friends.

Anticipating your opinions, suggestions and quick response, i thank you in advance.

Regards,
Atit.

1) It depends on the company at your level.  Bahrain as a country only comes into play when you are very senior because then, you might be too senior to be absorbed in a country which is very small and very few roles exist at that level - hence relocation to UAE or Saudi might be needed.  So, for you, it depends on employer i.e. what are the business prospects, is the business growing and generating profits, what is the competition you face for senior roles etc
2) Again depends.  If you are a fully qualified accountant like a CA or something, then it is too low an offer.  Keep in mind that housemaids here get paid 200 BD or so a month with all the benefits that you have listed above so you need to link it in relative terms
3) By how much will your salary increase?   in my view, in today's environment, unless you get promoted, don't expect more than a 5% YOY increase.  And with that, your salary is not likely to change that much over 2 years.  It will be manageable but tough
4) Yes and no.  Depends on what level of accommodation you are looking for.  At 150 BD, this is likely to be in a poor congested neighbourhood
5) Only you can decide that.  My view is never to leave your country unless what you are getting is substantially better than what you currently have

Thanks for your guidance.

I shall give you following additional deatils

I am not CA. I am semi qualified and have cleared Group Il of CA final examination, left with group I.
I have overall exp of 9 yrs incl my articleship tenure of 3 yrs.
Interviewing managers told me that this is highest package that company can offer for the grade i am hired at. They accepted i am clearly overqualified for the title and hence i have strong chances of promotions in the first two yrs itself.
I think i can share the Co. name i.e Nass Group. Managers told me there are lot of projects which comes frequently and company operates in all major countries of middle east.

Now with these information can you guide me better. I dont see any problem as long as i am bachelor. I am concern with long term ascpect. I can understand it would be difficult for anyone else to comment as well. Still with this input if you could help me better.
Also i can leave co. giving 3 months notice, if i dont get sufficient growth or salary hike on completion of year.
And finally  when you know the company name, can you give me reviews. If like you know the co or heard about it generally or via friends etc

Look, it is your decision.  I know of people who are not CA qualified but at much higher salaries than what was offered to you.  You are in training to become a qualified accountant and are not just a Bcom who is only going to do book keeper jobs plus on top you have experience.  The package being offered to you is more towards an entry level accountant with only a BCom.  Strong chances of promotion means nothing unless you actually get it :)

The group is a big local primarily family owned group. I don't have reviews for them good or bad.  Be mindful that the construction market in general is down in the middle east for the past few years due to the oil prices, curtailment in government spending and other economic issues.  No longer like the boom times of the past years. 

You can leave anytime theoretically but be aware of how this can create problems in the GCC.  Read through the Bahrain forums.  Almost everyday someone starts a thread asking for advice on how to resign as employer not accepting resignation or asking for money to reimburse his expense or holding onto employee passport or not allowing transfer to another employer etc etc.  There are dozens and dozens of these threads in the past month alone so don't assume that things here are like your home country as back there, as a citizen, you have more rights especially since you don't need to be on anyone's sponsorship to live there.

Having said that, lets assume you leave if you don't get sufficient salary growth or a hike after 1 year.  Why would you assume that another employer would give you a 100% jump in salary?   look at it logically, if you are worth, say 700 BD a month and are getting 350; for all subsequent employers, 350 is your starting point, not 700.  Where you start from is where you put your value on your brand.  I can give you an example, 15 years ago, I was offered a job in a multinational company in the GCC for monthly cash of 1900 BD.  I felt it was too low as I was a senior finance manager in a multinational (not in the GCC), my expectations were around the 4000 BD mark and I refused as a result.  I got a call from HR and they literally told me that no one will ever pay me this and they are giving the best package.  I still refused.  Fast forward to barely one year later, I landed in Dubai at a package of 6500 BD.  So my advice is to know your worth and never compromise on it for short term gains......it impacts your career and value in the long term.

I understand what you are saying. With this i expect myself to take wise decesion for myself. I think i shall negotiate and seek written clarification (management's perspective) on growth aspects in near future.
I am ok if the deal does not work. I was only looking at it as a long term career opportunity. I have a decent paying job already. I can find path leading to growth & success here in mumbai too.

Thanks for your guidance and help.
Wish you pleasant evening.

Regards.

It is your decision, as people above said, but have you looked through similar jobs in Bahrain? It might be worth checking indeed, bait, gulf talent, linkedin for similar positions and compare the salaries. 350 does not seem much - housemaids and waiters make it up with tips and extra work (working weekends and evenings). I am not sure you would be able to do this having a full-time employment.

Thanks for your advice. Conclusion i can arrive from advices is very clear.

Thanks for you time and concerns.