Legal services in Thailand

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Thailand.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Thailand?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Thailand? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

the very first thing on your checklist for finding a Law Company is that they have English speaking staff that you can easily deal with. They will guide you through any process.

second is that all documents are mostly in Thai language and you will not understand what is the issue and what you are signing.

Thailand is big on paper work. Many signatures and many stamps. Be careful and before you sign get a legal opinion.

Google things and the Embassy normally has a list of law companies and funeral directors

You should find a law firm that starts by offering a free consultation to ensure they can meet your needs. Then the legal adviser can prepare you a detailed proposal for your perusal before you consider engaging their services. You should also contact at least 2 law firms to compare services & fees.

You can get all paper translate and legalize by ministry of foreign affairs, legalization division, That way you can read it all, and have the paper put together, before sign anything.
Of cause if any problem the Thai version all ways the one use.

Sadly many chose NOT to do this, As it cost some money to do.

Make a (Living will) will that have health care representative, And you guide line for what you want, Have funeral requests in it.
Have who get what here in Thailand and get that paper work to your Amphoe.
To make things easy for your Girl friend / Wife / Boy friend / husbond.

My Thai family have good connection to high ranking police office / Chief.
And one former Police Chief now work for hes brother big law firm are in debt to my family.
Some very old old stuff, As my father in law help that family out many years ago, When father in law have a high position in Government.
So our family get all the help need, If one day we need help.

As this former police chief like me a lot, He give me contact numbers and more If problem one day come, And he told me what to do, and NOT to do, If problem come.

But hope i never need to call on them, But it is nice to know, That help is there..

Kindly.

As a real estate agent here, I find the services of Siam Legal to be extremely efficient. There is no free consultation. A consultation costs you about 5k, but you will get the best advice possible.  Before getting into real estate deals, you should definitely seek proper legal services. Sunbelt Asia is also a good law firm with lower prices that Siam Legal.

Many believe Thailand is a corrupted country, than again which country is not! Anyway I did run into bad police that wanted money. Was lucky to be introduce to the CPIB in Thailand, as in police that catches bad police. In short you are still able to live a straight life here.

there is no free lunch and nothing is done for nothing

you make the call for a favour and you will pay

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have found to find a good lawyer here is very difficult
Even a matter like drawing up a will there is always some excuse why it is so expensive.
I am very wary of lawyers here even more than in my home country
There are not many Thai lawyers  that seem to be honest if I read of the experiences of Expats here. I just hope I never need a lawyer here as I am pretty sure the lawyer and I will  will surely end up in a shouting match and this is not conducive to my health.
I like Fastnet idea of a consultation and then also a written quote for any services to be rendered and I have never seen a lawyer who will agree to this.

Barry, foreign owned law firms like Siam Legal will be able to help you. You would feel a lot more comfortable talking to their lawyers.

lawyers here are not expensive compared to other countries

free 20 min consulatation no problems

costs laid out and then you can shop around but at the end of the day perhaps you would prefer an english speaking person as opposed to a native speaker?

yes Barry have a look at the business directory for legal services

Obviously I would prefer an English speaking Lawyer and I am keeping your particulars should i ever need a lawyer
Thank You for the kind advice and I do not need a free consultation when it comes to English speaking lawyers
Barry
Prachin Buri

Hi Priscilla.

I have sent you a private message.

Kind Regards.

Rupert.

Great information here. Thank you!

Dear Priscilla,
Thanks for your guidance,....
Will be visiting Bangkok in Mid October and will try to follow your advice..
That was so Kind of you
Regards,
Kunjesh Mali

i am in pattaya and know everything
I speak english

Hi Barry

I have just been out to Pattaya twice dealing with my late father in laws estste , had to get court order as no will left , our funeral director put me in touch with a great English speaking  lawyer lady who was just amazing - p_lennie@ hotmail.com very reasonable and helped us with so much . Hope this helps , Marie

Everyone should look at the reviews online for a reputable international probate lawyer .

no reply from lennie email